• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The wife bought ANOTHER Jeep

amgeneral72

My wife's latest purchase is a 1983 AM GENERAL DJ-5 mail jeep.

WP_20160919_16_21_02_Pro.jpg WP_20160919_16_21_14_Pro.jpg IMG_1907.jpg

Not Military but it is cool.

Apparently from what I've read AM GENERAL took over the contract to make dispatcher jeeps around 1971 and ceased production in 1983. Over that time they used a wide variety of power plants. This is the last variation using a GM 2.4 liter inline four cylinder engine.
It is right hand drive and is the last production vehicle in the U.S. to have four wheel drum brakes.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a very ice example right there. That would be such a hoot at the checker's drive thru. I would really love an RHD anything except car. Wrangler, TJ, LLV or anything. Pro Street tubbed LLV is a dream for me.

infidel got me

That brings back memories of high school. I worked at a shell gas station back in the day and we had the contact with the post office to do all service and mechanical work on those old jeeps. Learned how to adjust brakes on the front where the wouldn't pull when you stopped. Simple design and easy to work on-- good times.

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Nice Jeep you have there. I owner a 1971 quite a few years back. Mine had the Jeep 232 ci 6 cylinder with a posi rear end. Made for fun driving in the NJ winters. The first time you drive it watch the right hand turns as it feels real weird and the turn happens real fast. Have fun with it. I did with mine. Love driving with the doors slid back.

Chief_919

A friend of mine had one like that he made a bargain basement drag car out of for fun. He dropped a 400 small block in, put used circle track slicks on the rear and put space saver spares from the junkyard in the front.

He made one pass down the 1/8 mile strip and they told him come back when he had a cage in it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks