• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

the XM971 "command camper" build

jdknech

well, I got started with my newest project last week, the COMMAND CAMPER:jumpin: lol

I got a heads up the the local town I live in found a loop hole that I hadn't thought of, and was planning to impound my trailer, so I called SS member Matt (matt1970M35A) and asked if i could bring it to his place till I got things worked out at my place (and no, I do NOT live in a HOA, and the property has been in the family since before the town became a town) but thats a whole nother story..
so me and Matt got started with the tear down of the trailer, and discovered that the electric was WAAAAAY over engineered!! it had 3 breaker boxes, all 3 phaze, and EVERY outlet had it's OWN breaker!! and the wireing was all in conduit run around the top of the walls.. I would LOVE to know how many MILES of wire we pulled out of the trailer so far.. we worked on it for almost 12hr last night, and still don't have it all out.. (we are trying not to cut it all up, it can be used for other projects) but we are close!

after the wire removal, and drop ceiling is removed, I will get started gluing 2"thick insulation to the bottom of the roof, and then installing a new drop ceiling leaving space between the insulation and the ceiling to use for A/C ducting... well, pics coming in the next post!

specal thanks goes to Matt1970M35A (matt) for letting me keep this at his place, and for the awsome help he has been! :beer:

jdknech

Did a bit more work to the camper yesterday.. Stripped out the rest of the drop ceiling.. So now I'm ready to insulate the top, and put A new ceiling in.. My current plan it to use 2" foam board insulation, and glue it to the top, and leave space between that, and the ceiling to use as ducting for the A/C..

All input is welcome guys!

jdknech

Looks good jd! Thats a big trailer! Whats the ceiling height in there?
Thanks! the height on the "step" part of the trailer is 5'10..(that will be the bedroom) and the rest of it is 6'4 to the drop ceiling.. there is 8" above the drop ceiling as well..

and you sir- have a VERY nice build! i hope mine turns out half as good as yours! I may turn to you for some advice after I get started on the rebuild :driver:

Csm Davis

I have had two of these and looked at a few more have my keeper and will be joining you in reworking the inside. Glad you have started before me on this I have already learned a few things. Are you going to keep the power cleaners and three phase?

jdknech

I have had two of these and looked at a few more have my keeper and will be joining you in reworking the inside. Glad you have started before me on this I have already learned a few things. Are you going to keep the power cleaners and three phase?
I do not plan to keep them, they are useless to me.. i dont have anything thats high draw, so I am just going to go to single phase... but just be for-warned the power cleaner is well over 200 pounds.. don't try moving it by yourself.. lol
I will be scraping most of the removed stuff (except for all the wire, it will useful at somepoint)

I could use the 3 phase input plug for the rear of the trailer though.. any ideas as to where to find one?

Csm Davis

Yeah the front is mainly used to work on the air conditioning and a pain to get in and out of, I have a extra front that I want to mounts on the rear of mine can you post a picture of your rear porch mounts? All of these trailers I have looked at were different in little ways does yours have civi light plug for 12 volt? How about the tool/storage boxes on the front corners? Or the folding ladder underneath?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
jdknech, I have a manual for that trailer around here somewhere if you need it. Let me know,

I'll be following this build as well!

jdknech

Yeah the front is mainly used to work on the air conditioning and a pain to get in and out of, I have a extra front that I want to mounts on the rear of mine can you post a picture of your rear porch mounts? All of these trailers I have looked at were different in little ways does yours have civi light plug for 12 volt? How about the tool/storage boxes on the front corners? Or the folding ladder underneath?
I will get you some pics of the mounts, it will be thursday, or friday though...
it does have the civy plug for 12V lights, but i am thinking of convirting it all to 24V so i can use the clearance lights..
the tool boxes are there as well.. one has a broken off door, but the door is still there, so i should be able to repair it..
and i do not have a folding ladder? i have one that hooks on and has twist locks to keep it from coming out of the mounts.. (i will get pics of it as well)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks