• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Theft deterrence of LMTV

sjohn116

Aside from the chain around the steering wheel to the hand rail, what other options are there to deter the casual theft or your buddies moving your truck w/o consent.

If I read it correctly, the starter push button is 12v going to a 24v relay, so a 12v keyed ignition in series with the push button would be an easy way to stop the unmotivated thief. Has anyone else done this and if so, what keyed switch did you use? I'm thinking a 2-position would work just fine, just to activate the push button start, and keep that as-is. It took me this long to finally have a vehicle with push button start; I'm not really eager to get rid of it. If you know what you're doing, the key would easily be bypassed, but that is true of most vehicles.

I am hesitant to put door locks on the vehicle, because that might lead to more door glass being shattered to gain entry, and as we all know, door glass is hard to find and $$$ when you do find a source.

Battery switch w/ or w/o key.

Are there any other options/ideas that I am missing?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The start button is just a simple momentary switch and can be replaced with a keyed momentary one. That being said, anyone with knowledge of the truck can go to the panel and with a paperclip jump the starter relay. You can make a kill setup with a relay that takes out the fuel solenoid power. And I recently saw this.
IMG_0689.jpg

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drain the air tanks. besides that nice LOUD beeping alarm (assuming it hasn't been disabled, which is a major DOT issue) it'll take a few minutes to build pressure while that thing is going off.

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put a keyed battery cutoff switch inside the battery box on my M1090. Easy to work around if you know it's there and have some tools, but with it off, there is no power to the cab. Works great for shows where kids are climbing in the truck and randomly pushing buttons.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The latest gen of HEMMTs have a Lock like that through the steering gear. A few years ago when they first got fielded I was about to chew a motor SGTs butt due to his entire brand new fleet being unsecured. I went back one more time to check (having a hard time believing that he left the entire fleet unsecure) and then saw the locks. Thought they were pretty genius actually!

scottmandu

A few options:

The later trucks have a battery disconnect that you can pad lock.
You can put a hidden switch in the neutral line of the TCM which won't allow it to start.
Leave the air tanks drained an open.
Take the emergency glad hand plugs off.
Disconnect the batteries

But honestly if someone is determined to take your truck they will find a way. The whole idea behind theft deterrents is to make your car just slightly more difficult to steal than the one next to it.

sjohn116

Agreed...nothing is theft proof, just like you can't stop anyone/anything from doing what they want, if they are motivated enough. I am mostly trying to stop buddies who aren't familiar with the truck from starting it up and driving it to a new location, unbeknownst to me, of course. Prank style thefts.

sargentwolf

Hold on a second. Don't leave the air tanks open! The point of draining them is to remove moisture. Leaving it open lets humid air into the system overnight!

Either the TM flat out states do not do that or PM magazine does. I can't remember, but it's stated in one of em.

Terrh

I always drain air tanks on big trucks if they're going to be sitting more than a few hours, and I never bother waiting around for it all to drain. A bit of damp air is nothign compared to the wet walls inside the tank.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The issue with moisture is more so ice in the winter than anything else. They've had issues with moisture getting into the lines and when the guys go to hit the brakes the ice has clogged the lines.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back to the theft deterrent stuff... I found a 24v rated power cut off switch with key on the big auction site for around $18 shipped! It appears to be a Caterpillar part. It is really heavy and well built. I hope to mount it inside the cab somewhere convenient, but will have to dig and see where wire routing is most convenient.

IMG_3351.jpgIMG_3352.jpg

Last edited:

Chief_919

Back to the theft deterrent stuff... I found a 24v rated power cut off switch with key on the big auction site for around $18 shipped! It appears to be a Caterpillar part. It is really heavy and well built. I hope to mount it inside the cab somewhere convenient, but will have to dig and see where wire routing is most convenient.

View attachment 648963View attachment 648964
That is exactly what I was going to post. The Cat type battery keys are perfect, especially if you mount it out of sight.

Amazon has them for under $25.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone figured out a good place in the cab to install the keyed power cut off switch? It would need to be close main power wires... near the power distribution panel maybe?

coachgeo

out of curiosity did a search of both Amazon and Ebay using "switch lock" and "Toggle Switch cover lock" as well as a few others. Found a lot of possibilities. On Ebay did limit search to categories on left side of page to [Business Industrial] Electronics Other" or something like that. Also under Ebay motors for generic ignition switches. In there was also generic 12v on off switches here some interesting ones
s-l225.jpg

s-l225.jpg

Another generic idea is lock boxes that fit over switches like house hold light switches. Might can screw one so it sits over several switches... in particular the main power switch. Have to use key to access the insides.

s-l225.jpgAnother is Lockable Perko Battery Disconnects switches or the likes.

Last edited:

sargentwolf

I have a related question. Going to a car show soon, is there a way to cut power at the circuit panel? I don't want kids turning the truck power on (green power toggle, not the starter button)

Like, pull one relay/breaker, no power at all when green power switch is hit?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks