• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Theft prevention?

Speedwoble

All good ideas here. I learned the hard way the need to lock my deuce. It came from Fort Riley and I had it parked on the street in Manhattan KS. Some friends stopped by and said "oh, you're back, we saw you driving the deuce around" I hadn't driven it that day, so I ran outside and it was not where I had parked it. I was in a state of shock for a moment until I saw it further down the street in an apartment parking lot, engine off but lights on and doors open. Long story shorter, I heard through the grapevine later some drunk students were filming a scavenger hunt when they saw my deuce. One was in the ROTC so he knew how to start it and they took it for a joyride. Could have turned out much worse. I had neglected to lock the steering wheel, thinking it was a safe area of town. Besides, most people get scared when they flip the power switch and hear the low air buzzer.
I did realize that as I had it parked, the steering wheel was perhaps only a protection against theft. Someone wanting to be destructive could have flipped the on-off switch, hit the starter button and let it run into the car ahead of or behind me.

Since then, primarily to protect my batteries, but also for a measure of theft protection, I mounted a cheap battery disconnect switch like this: Calterm Battery Cut - Off (50A) at Blain's Farm & Fleet in between the two batteries. It is not rated for the current, but it has worked for 4 years.

CobraCDR

My 100 lb german shepherd does a pretty good job keeping everyone out of the yard. I do plan on installing one of the locking battery cut off switches sooner or later.

Last edited:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No problems......why would you not leave the cable out?
Someone mentioned that a seal or something my be affected over time if left held out like that.

I have no idea of the design of the IP in that area, and love the simplicity of your design.

Heath_h49008

In my mustang I used a 30a momentary contact switch hidden, and routed to the neutral start safety switch.... the same could be done with the starter solenoid lead in a deuce. The door locks are a great product as well. If they can't get in without breaking something, and even if they do they can't get it to move, the truck itself should be pretty secure.

Now the fuel in the tanks... stuff in the bed... and anything secured with a padlock that can be reached by a bolt cutter is a different story. The meth-heads around here have a penchant for tools and knocking holes in tanks, and cutting padlocks.

Anybody consider electrifying the truck? I know it would be a legal nightmare, but a couple tazer/cattleprod contacts in the seat or seatback, rigged to a cut-off switch would seem to be perfectly fine. Plus, it wouldn't kill you if you forgot about it. (I'm betting you would forget once... but only once) The ones that electrify the whole chassis like a fence are only illegal because an innocent passer-by in a parking lot could brush up against it and be hurt. But someone who has broken in should be fair game. It would be a mess, but a pepper spray option would seem ok as well.

Any lawyers in the house?

Heath_h49008

Thanks Heath, now when you go outside to jump in your stang I will have it after I find the hidden switch.
Thank you for declaring your intent... I'll at least know where to look for it.:beer:

Honestly, most car thieves I have seen use a tow dolly/tow truck and just drag the thing. I'm not worried about that with a Deuce!

I am worried about people tearing it up trying to steal batteries, fuel and tools. As well as stupid unleashed kids wanting to play in it, pushing buttons and pulling levers. Batteries are going for $.30 /lb and the scrap rats know it, they have really been doing a number on pumps and electric motors at the farms as well.

Welcome to Le Miserables...

Blackmagic94

LOL you spent 6 hours milling that away, that is retarded lol.

I could probably make something out of that in steel from ace hardware and my MIG welder in 10 minutes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks