• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

thermostat/cooling system issues

mcmud

I have a 5ton that has suddenly developed a few leaks. Put maybe 1000 miles on it in the last few months with no issues to speak of and then a week ago it sprang four leaks in one afternoon drive. Started with the heater core, I bypassed that until i can fix it later. Then on on the right side of the engine, tightened the clamp. Two more on the rear of the engine just above the transmission, clamped those tighter too. So to my question, could a blocked or broken thermostat be causing this? If so, what is the part number for a good American made one? I also read that it could be a block somewhere else so i will try to flush the system today and see what that does. I don't notice any bubbles or steam anywhere else so I don't think it's a more serious issue yet, hoping to avoid that problem too!

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Which 5-ton? You have to check the hose clamps they do have a habit of working loose a little sometimes. Maybe the metal stretches a bit. A little snugging up here and there will usually fix that. Too tight you will break the clamp. Been there done that. Heater cores go bad. If your thermostat stayed closed you would probably know it pretty fast you would overheat.
Will

mcmud

It's the m923 a2. I've tightened the hose clamps as need be, the first few times that's what I assumed it was. The fan came on two or three times when I was not under heavy load and not on a hot day. Which leads me to think I may have a different problem

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
There is a fanstat control on the upper radiator hose. When the coolant gets to a certain temp the fan comes on. It moves alot of air so generally it dosnt run for long before the coolant temp drops back down and the fan shuts off. If your thermostats (there are 2 on the A2) were stuck closed. Did you check the coolant overflow level?
Will

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It cant hurt to do a coolant flush on your truck. There are several gaskets needed for a thermostats swap. I was planning on doing it myself the only one who had most of the stuff was the Cummins dealer and it wasnt cheap.

mcmud

I found the thermostat at Kragen for $8 for that size engine. All I would need, from I was told, was the main gasket that fits in between the two pieces that lock the thermostat in. That's just what I was told from a mechanic friend

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks