• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thermostat

Flea

Well, after driving the Deuce in both warm and colder weather, it's near impossible to get it warmed past 160* on the temp gauge.

I seem to recall reading somewhere about a thermostat for the deuce, but I haven't been able to find a working part number. Anyone have a model that will work for the truck? It'd be nice if I could get it to operating temp in 15 minutes. :)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A different T-stat will not help.
To increase the operting temperature, cover the radiator. I could suggest use an electrically operated fan, but you need the air flow for proper temp distribution.
Keep in mind that the multifuel engine is a very efficient engine and will not put out a lot of heat unless working hard, just driving up and down the street will not get it hot, certainly not idling.

Over the years, I have found that a radiator cover is needed to some extent at all times. I finally made a custom plywood piece, which has the equivalent opening of canvas version with the flap open. The temperature still just nudges the T-stat to let it modulate the heat at about 180°F. That cover is left in place all year and if you live in a part of the country with real Winter weather, use the original radiator cover and close the flap until it's warmed up.

My 757 (8x8) engine, also a multi, apparently was not operated much above 175°F, judging from the deposits left in the T-stat housing, the port that connects to the radiator is like new, while the "recirculation" port has the usual coolant deposits. It shows that during its life at Ft Sill, it was mostly at idle or not working very hard.
Get used to it, you are dealing with an engine made to work hard, so find other ways to get it hot. :)
BTW, the radiator will get warm via the lower portion, which contacts the coolant within the engine, it just won't contribute to the cooling.

To add a note here, I would like to see a radiator shutter for the deuce, because when you start driving it on the highways and hit a long down hill run, the temp will drop, and I have measured this, as much as 30 to 40 degrees F. A radiator shutter could prevent this temp drop, operated remotely or by its own temperature switch....

Attachments

jodka

you need the air flow for proper temp distribution.
Bjorn,

That is interesting. Could you elaborate on that point?

- What is the evidence for that?
- So then what is the deal with thermostatically-controlled electric fans if switching them off causes improper temp. distribution. Is that a misfeature? Or do the fans only switch off when a vehicle is in motion, such that there is always air flow over the engine; either produced by the fan when the vehicle is stationary or by airflow from vehicle motion?
- Is the requirement for air flow for proper temp distribution a property of all engines or just some engines such as the multifuel?

- Allen

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Allen, I have seen some note somewhere about not driving with the side panels off, because it would effect the flow of the air. I'll dig further and post any "new evidence". :)
Of course, cutting the fan would be major in that case.

Flea

My mistake. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Deuce didn't have a thermostat. Must have misread whatever it was.

I've got some plywood left from building a trailer for my stepson's go-kart this weekend, so looks like I'm going to measure out and build a cover.

Bjorn, how are you securing that piece to the radiator?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use 1/2 inch plywood. primed and painted and heavy duty cable ties to hold in place, for easy removal/installation. Use the above image and estimate the openings, not an exact science.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks