• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Things I discovered today about my trailer

hwcurtice

1. You can put the cover on by yourself. its a PITA, but you can do it.

2. Someone lost a dime...

3. My trailer looks pretty neat with the cover on it.

4. I was worried, but they actually mark these with 'FRONT' on the inside, so you don't put them on backwards.

5. They stink after a bit being folded up for Lord knows how long. Mine is currently airing out.....

6. I still have lots of work to do to make it look good. So much rust and need to make the safety chains 'fit'.

3dAngus

Did the same thing myself today, for the first time.

First time with the correct cover that is.

I had another cover that covered the wheels on it two days ago. Turns out, it is for a special M116 with a taller frame, and it looked weird. I washed this one down with the hose twice over the last two days to get some of the plastic odor out, and it looks pretty good on the M101A2.

Reactions: DAP

DAP

3dAngus - I had one for an M116 and I think it is for an M116A2 or A2. It has the cut out for the wheel well but hangs down a bit to far. I think the A2 or A3 has a slightly wider bed so I guess it would fit an A2 or A3 perfect. I have an M116A1. It looks OK but not exactly like in the manual. Mine was not labeled front or back so my first install took 3 trys. 1 try inside out, one backwards and one finally getting it all around correct. I now have it marked front/inside - LOL

A

A/C Cages

Put the cover on in the rain in a real hurry, and by the time you get it on and done, the rain stops.... Talk about pissing everyone off. now you cant put that tarp away cause its all wet too.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did a deuce by myself, once! It was the new vinyl model, with all the markings (Front, Back). Secret is getting it folded lengthwise, put it in the bed, roll it out, then take the front back past the third (middle) bow and bring it forward till its hanging over the front three bows, then push the back part of the cover over the fourth bow (probably won't go over the 5'th one yet). then spread it out side to side. After that you should be able to get it over the rearmost bow. When it's on even, it will almost not cover on both sides - that's when you know you have it right! On the front, do the sides first then the front piece, on the back do the back piece first, then the sides so water cannot enter the cargo area when underway.

Sierra51

It wasn't today but a few weeks ago....I learned you can remove an upgraded M101A2 trailer body from its chassis and relocate it to its new home on a 1 ton Dodge frame....without the use of any type of lifting devices....and yeah, it was a PITA sort of....:shock:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do my trailer and truck covers alone all the time. If putting on a cover is taxing you should hire someone to do your wheel bearing maintenance. Side note, once you have erected a canvas GP Medium with only the help of a 5 yr old, truck covers are amazingly easy.

Sierra51

I would love to put covers on my M105’s if I had covers. lol

Sierra51,
Do you have any pics of the trailer body move?

Yes I do....I have them in a photo folder on the desktop....will have to move them into my photobucket album....several of them I might add....if I knew how to make up a slide-show video it would be quite humorous to watch....but until I can get them all transferred, there is this....

tbearatkin

I do my trailer and truck covers alone all the time. If putting on a cover is taxing you should hire someone to do your wheel bearing maintenance. Side note, once you have erected a canvas GP Medium with only the help of a 5 yr old, truck covers are amazingly easy.
I can only imagine and would love to see that video. Bet that would have won the $10K on funniest home videos....

jbingvtx

But you're a seasoned professional...I'm a newb. I do have the technique down now, and I almost never put it on backwards anymore.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks