• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Things I found at the pick and pull...

pidgeon

I've been annoyed at my lack of operational tailgate. The tailgate is a rusted, rubberless hunk of crud and me + welding is just a generally bad idea. So I popped off to the junkyards to go see if I can find a new tailgate that works.

First yard I hit actually makes you *pay* to go in. 2 bucks, but this concept is new to me and I've been hitting yards for years. Must be a city thing. Went in to find some of the most picked over blazers you could find. It was a waste of my 2 bucks (Portland auto wrecking on Columbia.). A1 Light trucks next door was way better. Even had a full gate. But it was electric and I wasn't in the mood to figure out if they were interchangeable. Plus, I needed the crank handle and some of the internals.

I'm walking through A1 and see that the yard next door has a blazer. So I pop over and hit jackpot.

I picked up a rust free gate 95% complete (no lock). On top of that the gate has what I think is an aftermarket swing open tire carrier. I grab that as well. Has anyone heard of the blazers coming with a swing open carrier?

But the big "WOOT!" was the black center console (which I didn't think blazers had only 'burbans? Anyone?). Got that for 20 bucks.

So now it's time to go and start thinking about repainting. Anyone know of an ok bodyshop in pdx?

67_C-30

I've been annoyed at my lack of operational tailgate. The tailgate is a rusted, rubberless hunk of crud and me + welding is just a generally bad idea. So I popped off to the junkyards to go see if I can find a new tailgate that works.

First yard I hit actually makes you *pay* to go in. 2 bucks, but this concept is new to me and I've been hitting yards for years. Must be a city thing. Went in to find some of the most picked over blazers you could find. It was a waste of my 2 bucks (Portland auto wrecking on Columbia.). A1 Light trucks next door was way better. Even had a full gate. But it was electric and I wasn't in the mood to figure out if they were interchangeable. Plus, I needed the crank handle and some of the internals.

I'm walking through A1 and see that the yard next door has a blazer. So I pop over and hit jackpot.

I picked up a rust free gate 95% complete (no lock). On top of that the gate has what I think is an aftermarket swing open tire carrier. I grab that as well. Has anyone heard of the blazers coming with a swing open carrier?

But the big "WOOT!" was the black center console (which I didn't think blazers had only 'burbans? Anyone?). Got that for 20 bucks.

So now it's time to go and start thinking about repainting. Anyone know of an ok bodyshop in pdx?
Most civilian Blazers had consoles. Sounds like a good score on the gate!

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The places around where I live don't have Blazers or Suburbans to pick over. Unless of coarse you want an S-10 Blazer, then you're in the right place. All of the places I've been to charge a buck to two bucks to get in. It's been that way as long as I can remember. Probably to cover the small stuff that falls into pockets and tool boxes.:wink:

Midnight Rider

You should have snagged the electric tailgate. I'm sure you could have sold that to someone on here.

I've been looking for an electric tailgate and center console, myself. I don't think there are any pick and pull places around here. Most junkyards around here, you go ask for something and they see if they have it. You aren't allowed to go into the yard.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice find. But that $2 entry fee is new to me also. Any place that operates like that or charges a fee to use anything but cash is a place I leave quickly.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The places here in Detroit charge $1.00 per person but you can come and go all day.
The $1.00 fee pays for the girl that collects the $1.00 fee. :razz:

At these yards, in the last two years i've only found two well picked over full size Blazers. Lots of pick-ups though.

OL AG '89

nopics

PICTURES????
I've been looking for a swing away tire carrier for an earlier model....... send pics......!
Would love to see how, where it mounts and how, where it attaches to tailgate.....

Also would like to see the console. I just picked up a ammo can to build the one as described in different thread.....

CUCV85

I paid a whole $10.00 for a RUSTY electric tailgate.
I stripped out just the scissor lift and motor.
The CUCV Blazer has an identical set up
as the Civilian Blazer.
Matched up perfect.
$10.00 for heavy gage wire for power to motor,
$6.00 3 way Momentary Switch from Napa BINGO!
I had to PB Blaster the entire Scissor Lift,
Cable and Motor :)
Tested it all back and forth 20 times before installing.
I coated it all up real good with SAE 20.

You should have snagged the electric tailgate. I'm sure you could have sold that to someone on here.

I've been looking for an electric tailgate and center console, myself. I don't think there are any pick and pull places around here. Most junkyards around here, you go ask for something and they see if they have it. You aren't allowed to go into the yard.

Last edited:

muddog

My civy Blazer came with a swing out tire carrier on the back. Was real nice to have the extra space in the back, but with the extra weight of the tire on the tailgate cause the tailgate to wear out sooner, also rattled alot. Have seen better designs mounted to the bumper and frame that worked better. I'm going to leave my spare in the back of my M1009, makes it easier to load the back without having to deal with swinging the tire around if you have a big package. But both ways have their advantage's.
Harold