• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Things I need to do before I drive my M925a2 home

Blaines2399

Hey guys, I'm flying out to go pick up my M925a2 home in a few weeks. Truck is running and drives, tires are like new.

I was planning on greasing majority of the fittings and put diesel treatment into the tank. And I was going to check the fuel filters and drain out water. Other than that what do you think? I'll be driving approx 1300 miles home over four days with another person. Thanks

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Learn the starting and turning off switch sequence so you don’t fry your PCB and I’d print up the schematics for the brake and electrical system before you go.
Check the fluid in the transmission, transfer case and axles also.
Extra brake chamber diagrams are a good idea also.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you bring extra fuel filters with you, especially the little in-line filter, assuming your truck is so equipped. Most of the A2s I've owned at the little in-line filter, but one or two had the m809 series filter retrofitted. Good luck.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might you need spare light bulbs for stop/tail/turn signals? A volt meter or test light might come in handy. Do you have a serviceable spare tire? Does the truck have everything needed to change a flat tire (Including cribbing)? Have you thought to share your itinerary and route here for possible assistance by fellow members if needed along the way? Remember to check your tire and hub temperature (by feel or with a temp gun).

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey guys, I'm flying out to go pick up my M925a2 home in a few weeks. Truck is running and drives, tires are like new.

I was planning on greasing majority of the fittings and put diesel treatment into the tank. And I was going to check the fuel filters and drain out water. Other than that what do you think? I'll be driving approx 1300 miles home over four days with another person. Thanks
It might be really worth your time to at least download the TM's for your truck. A little reading on your part in the "-10" book would be really useful.

Blaines2399

Might you need spare light bulbs for stop/tail/turn signals? A volt meter or test light might come in handy. Do you have a serviceable spare tire? Does the truck have everything needed to change a flat tire (Including cribbing)? Have you thought to share your itinerary and route here for possible assistance by fellow members if needed along the way? Remember to check your tire and hub temperature (by feel or with a temp gun).
I am bringing along a led headlight kit from midwest military because one of the headlights on the truck is burnt out. Spare tire behind the cab looks brand new as well. I was going to go to harbor freight and pick up a 20 ton bottle jack as well as a jump pack starter. I'll be bringing a milwaukee 1/2 impact and tire inflator as well but I was told the CTIS works trouble free.

Route will be Philadelphia->Pittsburgh->Columbus OH->Dayton OH->Indianapolis->St Louis->Kansas City. Majority of the trip will be on I-70
Pick up the truck in Philly on 2/16 and drive to Pittsburgh (Belle Vernon). 2/17 Drive to Terre Haute. 2/18 Drive to Kansas City

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Assuming the truck is coming from Eastern surplus, see if they have a marginal but serviceable spare that they’ll throw in for an extra. If the batteries are older I would consider grabbing a couple new from them or nearby even if they are for another vehicle or piece of equipment you own that may need them.

Defcon-1

My suggestion would be to get some 1/4" / 3/8" / 1/2" DOT air-line with a variety of brass air-brake line fittings/unions. If you lost an air line on your trip you could repair it very easily. So many things run off the air system. This would also be good to have in the truck permanently too. An example(s) based off what I have:

Also I am in South Jersey about 20 minutes away from PHL, if you need a hand on your way out of the tri-state area please let me know :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks