• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

think I need to find another transfercase - looking for an air-shift unit

jesusgatos

This probably isn't good, huh? I'm in the middle of changing all the fluids in my M109 over to Amsoil synthetics, and when I drained the oil out of my transfer-case I found this...

Any idea what this mangled mess of little steel bits means? It's a sprag-shifted transfercase, and seemed to operate just fine. I've put over 4,000 miles on this truck since I bought it from Hammer at the beginning of this year and I've never had a problem with the transfer-case. I was careful never to roll backwards when in first-gear, or forwards when in reverse.

Whatever the problem is/was, I was planning on upgrading to an air-shift transfer-case eventually anyway. But now I need to find one quick-like because I'm living in this M109 and now I'm stranded here (bay area, CA) until I get it fixed.

So if anybody knows where I might be able to score a complete air-shift setup anywhere on the west-coast for a reasonable price, please send me a PM.

Attachments

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't tell from the pic what those parts are but you either have something comming apart in there or the parts were left in there after rebuild. Somebody (I think it may have been Gimpyrobb) opened up a freshly rebuilt trans and found chunks in there that were left after rebuild.

I've got a air shift t-case but I'm a long way from you.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, that was I. Rebuilt trans had bigger chunks come out of it. I opened it up and it was brandy new EVERYWHERE. I guess they left the chuncks in there from a prior mis-hap. If it worked OK before, I'd drive it to your supplier to pick up the spare Tcase.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks