• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

thinking about auxiliary diesel tank(s)

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am planning a tour to northern Sweden for February 2025. 1,800 miles one way.
Since the fuel supply up there is sometimes difficult and the HMMWV is not exactly a long-distance runner, I have to think of a solution.
A fuel can is certainly an option. But at -13 deg F and permanent darkness definitely no fun!

A permanently installed auxiliary tank would be a very convenient option.
But where to? Possibly in the rear wheel arches. Where the AC condenser is installed in A2 models.
But I don't know how far the wheel might move and then collide with the auxiliary tank.
edit: Just noticed that AM General also has a solution for the SpecOps vehicles. NSN: 2910-01-608-4459
Quite expensive but available. Actually too expensive for me for only one tour.
And, i thin i need to remove the the whole body to install it.

Another problem, which exists with virtually all options, is that the auxiliary tank(s) are always above the regular tank. I must therefore ensure that they do not flood the regular tank and empty themselves via the overflow.
A electrically controlled valve in the line from the auxiliary tank to the main tank should solve the problem. And since it is located above the regular tank, there is no need for a pump. Gravity is your friend.

And the question is, how do I fill the auxiliary tank(s)? I don't want to cut additional tank mares into the rear fenders. Ideally, fill via a pump from the main tank. But how do I know that the auxiliary tanks are full?
If the auxiliary tank(s) have an overflow into the main tank (which I almost have to) then I would see on the fuel gauge when filling via the pump from the main tank when the level no longer moves that the auxiliary tank is full.

Or rather much simpler... just weld me a large tank only for this tour. Tank nozzle on top. Simply place it firmly on the loading area and lash it down. Connect the line with a manual tap to the return line of the non-installed parking heater and you're done.
Not very elegant but efficient.

What do you think?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks