• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking about buying a 76 and have a few questions

Leeinottawa

Hi guys,

I've been looking for a cucv for awhile now and came accross one the other day. I have a few questions abou it though.

Its a 1976 with a rebuilt 350 in it. Seems to be in good shape. New brakes, fenders rockers, master cylinder, comes with good cond 7 1/2' fisher plow, bed is in good shape, the cab corners have been patched (this worries me a little, never know who well it was fixed), the ds door is rusted a little, guy spray bombed it blue :roll: He's asking $4500 cdn for it. I think this is a good deal. The only other ones I could find were 8000-9000 around here.

Anyways I'm curious as too the difference between the 76 and the newer ones that most of you guys have. Did the 76 come with a 350 or the 6.2. Does it have the corp 14 and dana 60 or does it have a different drivetrain? Is it as good of a truck as the newer ones? I would love the diesel but this one is way cheaper. Lastly what do you guys think about the deal. I've seen it once at night and went for a ride. It's slow but i expected that, not crazy slow though once it gets going. Also shifts very smooth. The int is as expected, fairly rough, no headliner and it looks as though the roof has some rust issues which scares me.

Anyways let me know what you guys think and any info you can provide on the 76 would be great.
Thanks

CCATLETT1984

that is the older body style.

I think that most of the drivetrain would be different.

The price doesm't seem that bad, especially considering that it comes with a plow, although you will want to check the transmission out to be sure it isn't ready to die (check for burnt fluid and then how it shifts COLD)

dilvoy

Ya, what brand is that? I have seen some mid '70's Chevy's which were purchased by the military, like they have done for at least 50 years and were painted a semi gloss green and even had some blackout lighting added, but they weren't tactical trucks as built.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not a Dodge, it's a Chevy, purchased by the Canadians in the mid 70's. I believe they were 3/4-ton, gas powered (the 6.2 didn't come out until '81?) and they used full time 4-wheel drive with an NP203 transfer case and, most likely a Dana 44 front axle and 12-bolt rear, but I'll have to check. They might have had the 3/4-ton FF 14-bolt. I cannot remember. In any case, it's not technically from the "CUCV" program, but it can still be authentic military.

mangus580

If its a 3/4 ton, its the 14-bolt FF. Agreed on the Dana 44 rear. I also suspect a TH400 tranny.

You are right, the 6.2 didnt come out until 81.

Leeinottawa

Thanks for the info guys. I have a little more info on the truck. The owner says that it does have a th400 and a np203 but i'm not 100% if he knows what hes talking about. Also something that struck me a weird. The rear leaf pack is huge, something like 12-13 leafs in it, i've never seen anything like that on a pickup. It does also have the blackout lights and as well the int is camo color with writing on the glove box. Looks authentic which leads me to believe that it definatelt was used in the military at one point.

I'm a little worried cause i'm skeptical on the honesty of the seller. He said he had a few of these and used to have a car lot where he kept them. I have heard of such a car lot but never went there. Anyways he also said that he went to the states to get this one but from the sounds of it this would have only come from the canadian military.

If anybody has any more info that would helpo i'd greatly appreciate it.

Leeinottawa

found out some more info on the truck this morning. Were pretty sure it's a 14bolt up front. Not sure if it's a dana 44 or 60 out back. We also found out that it's not full time 4 wheels and that it has a 4high/low and the owner says that it also has 2 low?? Anyways If this helpf you guys help me figure out what exactly this this is. Also it's definately a chev

mangus580

Got any pics?

GM never used a 14-bolt in the front. It didnt exist I dont think.

If you can get a bunch of pics, I am sure we can tell you alot more.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I remember right the 3/4 tons used 14 bolts in back while 1/2 tons used the 12 bolt in the rear and I believe they both used dana 44's in front (3/4-8 lugs. 1/2 ton-6 lugs). It has been awhile since I have messed with them though.

Leeinottawa

Hey guys just came back from seeing the truck again. Def a 14bolt out back and a dana44 out front. So what is this truck? Not a 1008 and not a m880. Is there a code for it or is it just a regular 3/4 ton that the military painted camo?

Also got the price down too $3000 with the plow. Good deal???

dilvoy

An M series vehicle would have had a data plate somewhere. It may be missing, but it probably is not an M series vehicle. It's probably a vehicle bought by the Military for use in non tactical purposes. It could have been originally painted just about any color, even semi gloss.

Leeinottawa

Thanks for all the replys guys this site is very informative. I'm in school right now so it's gonne be a big purchase but i think i'm gonna go ahead and pick it up. My neighbor plows and he says i'd have now problem getting rid of the plow next year for $3000-4000 if i didn't want it (newer 8' fisher) so it seems like i can always get my money back out of the truck. I'll let you guys know how it goes and will post some pics if I pick it up.

Thanks again

ida34

Farther up in the thread we had established that it was probably a Canadian military truck not an M880.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks