• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

thinking about buying a Deuce , need some advice

Here are a couple threads you may be interested in. The california licensing issue one will be very informational to you.

I chose to housecar my duece which avoids many of the issues you will face. The 3 axle rule will get you in CA. Be sure to weigh the pro's and cons of the commercial license. Remember any violations you receive in any car will not allow traffic school once you have a commercial license.

It was a long road for me, but I am glad I kept on going. If you keep it non-historical commercial plates, there are a lot of fees and trouble. Get it historic, if SLO DMV cant figure it out, go to lompoc, they are better than Santa Maria. Also, if you know what needs to be done, what forms are needed, you can tell them and they they will usually figure it out.

Have all the forms figured out when you go, tell them what needs to be done, then they will do it. get to know the DMV codes real well, spend the time on the dmv website and print out everything for your reference.

If you get the truck, let me know and I will try to email you the PDF's I have which may help in your registration issues ahead. If its not registered now, dont forget to get the SF-97 if you want the DMV to register it, dont bother trying without it.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=13887

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=21763

Good Luck!!!

rwright07

not a bad idea, when you registered it as a housecar, was there a thorough inspection? When i talked to the people at the DMV they said it would need a working flushing toilet and a bunch of other stuff. True/Untrue? i have the DMV sections bookmarked and the class B handbook, so i have all the needed regulations

I had seen those threads earlier but rereading them and bookmarking them was good. How long did you drive it around before you had trouble? Did you get the truck off GL? which site? Which had all those m109's? perhaps that is the way to go...

How heavy is the shelter and how did you get it in the bed... It would be cool to have means to take it in and out... Camper one week, pickup the next-- best of both worlds

Drove around less than a month...Stopped 1/4 mile from my house...It just depends on your attitude and the Officer....No inspectoin, whoever told you that did not know. There a form, have all the right forms, act like you know what is going on, they should just put it thru. The form is an afadavit type situation. In fact the DMV told me that even housecar would not override the 3 axle rule.

I carry all the codes in my glovebox and will fight it if I get stopped. Just took a 600 mile trip and didnt get stopped. Crap shoot!
Picked mine up from GL, look in CA, lots of M109's around
Shelter weighs about 2K, loaded it with high lift jack, pallets and comealong. Pretty easy actually

Shelter is very rigid, you could easily rig some method to do that. Acouple guide rails, and a winch for pulling it up, easy...Add Rollers to the bottom, even better.

Getting it off......Backup real fast and stop!!!! :driver: [thumbzup]

rwright07

how much is registration for a housecar yearly? Historic registration would kick ass cuz its soo cheap, but big tickets would put a dent in my savings...

perhaps an M109 is the best option? what is the inside height/width on the box on those?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks