• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking about Buying an M35A2 - need some advice on the costs to repair

fredster67a

Hi, I looked at an M35A2 today with 3300 mi or so and it needed some things I was wondering if anyone could help me estimate the cost - I would really appreciate it - also a comment on the availability would really help - thanks in advance d

Here is what it needed:

1. shifter boot for transmission
2. exhaust pipe was rotted (no can or cover over top so pipe rotted out at bottom)
3. windshield frame rotted and glass cracked
4. support that radiator sits in is rotted - lloks like it was soldered the the lowe radiator can and some of the solder joints are broken
5. left door rotted - do they sell patch panels or do you need to bu the whole door
6. both rectangular mirror glass gone( drivers and passenger side)

Thats the major stuff - thanks again for estimates and availability.
Fred

jwynne808

I am new to this too, sounds like the old Deuce has seen better days. I hope you get the numbers you want. Good luck and post some pictures if you can, it will help in getting accurate numbers.

shadowrwolf

take a very very close look at the radiator if its old and not looking very nice that is around $800 to replace
not including coolant...
if it is just the plate it is mounted to it can be replaced if i rember right the pate is 1/2" ish and is mounted with bolts to the frame.

is it just the frame of the windshield?
check the area of the hood that mates up to the windshield/dash that is hard to replace/fix normally requires a new cab.

fabercate your own patch panel

there are a lot of surplus sights that sell parts you can price with

lots of pictures will help

eagle4g63

OK

1: Saturn surplus has them for just over $12
2: these should cost you about $150
3: Depends....is it the main frame you are talking about or the smaller individual frames that hold the glass......main frame check classifieds for someone parting one out.....smaller ones, NEW WITH glass about $150 each
4: Again gotta be more specific......this is where a pic would help......what you are talking about might be part of the radiator or part of the motor mount(sounds like part of the radiator) can find good for around $300
5: Either make your own patch or again....classifieds and find someone parting out......a little search and found a set for $275
6: Again depends on which mirror you have......old style, they are the same as regular trucks(that is where I got a new one) and cheap......if the latter "California mirror" style......any truck stop...either way about $20 each

I hope this helps you a little bit.........and reading through the classifieds or checking the dreaded evil bay will usually give you a close enough guess on prices. Amazing what you find searching "M35A2 parts"

Last edited:
If that's all that's wrong with that deuce, it doesn't sound too bad at all. That can all be resolved in a weekend once you get all the parts together.
Check out Jatonka's, Memphis Equipment, Boyce Equipment, and C&C Equipment for the parts you need. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

fredster67a

More on the problems with the deuce

Hi, It is difficult to explain but the plate appears to be more of a u shaped channel thathe radiaor fits inot rather loosley - there are major clumps of solder that seem as sort of glue to make up the slack - some have deteriorated and paaar to be in disrepair - I will keep looking for apic - as far as the winshield frame it is just the part that opens out - so you nailed it - thanks agin.

Fred

take a very very close look at the radiator if its old and not looking very nice that is around $800 to replace
not including coolant...
if it is just the plate it is mounted to it can be replaced if i rember right the pate is 1/2" ish and is mounted with bolts to the frame.

is it just the frame of the windshield?
check the area of the hood that mates up to the windshield/dash that is hard to replace/fix normally requires a new cab.

fabercate your own patch panel

there are a lot of surplus sights that sell parts you can price with

lots of pictures will help

shadowrwolf

2012-09-14 16.29.41.jpg

think this is what you are thinking of
also when i pulled mine one of the mounting studs was rotten
had it repaired for about $90, and that caused more problems so had to have more work done on it costing a another $100 and it will probably not last more than a year or 2.
i defiantly do not trust my radiator right now.
best bet long run a new fresh one that will last a another 40 years

shadowrwolf

more pictures of the entire truck every little nook and cranny.
will help everyone know what you are looking at
and 3300 is BS its a new gauge

hunderliggur

Yes more pics! College park is not far from me and my wife and daughter are at UMD. I get my deuce this weekend. Unless it is in need of a new radiator doesn't sound too bad. Do you have to transport it? Where on earth will you keep it in CP?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are asking the right questions, fredster. The purchase price is one thing - bringing the truck up to snuff is another. Not much to say to the price; IMHO 5500 sounds a little rich, unless it is decked out with winch, hard top, heater, dropside bed.
Jaded, experienced green iron owners will chuckle at the notion that anyone takes mileage/hour readings on an MV seriously. The gauges get swapped all the time. You have no idea about either.

My truck had a hissing rad when I bought it; removed rad and had it professionally re-cored and repaired at a local shop. Good as new. $450. You can get a used takeout cheaper but you won't know for sure what you are getting.

Exhaust pipe can either be welded or replaced; J-pipe NOS is about $130. There is also a guy that reproduces them.

Also factor in the really important stuff, such as brakes all around, including master cylinder and air pack. You will notice, when you read the posts here, that this is one system you do not want to be dumb, lazy or careless with. On a new-to-you truck you must check it out and repair or replace whatever is needed, including hard and soft lines, wheel cylinders, master, airpack - whatever it needs. Do not skimp here.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know it's hard for some of us to grasp that saw hundreds of deuces at auction a few years ago go for under $1500-2000, but since they are almost all now in private hands, $4000 - $6000 is not a bad price for a good running deuce (condition is everything, and location is also a factor). A few months ago, a M109A3 went for over $4000 at a GL auction in San Antonio IIRC, which was over 300% more than they brought only 4 years ago when dozens were sold in one sale.

Especially if you appreciate the historic value, since I have Vietnam-era deuces that also went through the cold war and both Gulf wars. They were in service for over 40 years and are still capable of being deployed again. The M939 series trucks made about 28 years and the Gulf wars.

fredster67a

Thanks- that is great advice - really appreciate all the assistance in terms of helpful things to consider that I have received form the group.

Fred

You are asking the right questions, fredster. The purchase price is one thing - bringing the truck up to snuff is another. Not much to say to the price; IMHO 5500 sounds a little rich, unless it is decked out with winch, hard top, heater, dropside bed.
Jaded, experienced green iron owners will chuckle at the notion that anyone takes mileage/hour readings on an MV seriously. The gauges get swapped all the time. You have no idea about either.

My truck had a hissing rad when I bought it; removed rad and had it professionally re-cored and repaired at a local shop. Good as new. $450. You can get a used takeout cheaper but you won't know for sure what you are getting.

Exhaust pipe can either be welded or replaced; J-pipe NOS is about $130. There is also a guy that reproduces them.

Also factor in the really important stuff, such as brakes all around, including master cylinder and air pack. You will notice, when you read the posts here, that this is one system you do not want to be dumb, lazy or careless with. On a new-to-you truck you must check it out and repair or replace whatever is needed, including hard and soft lines, wheel cylinders, master, airpack - whatever it needs. Do not skimp here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks