• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

thinking about doing black white and grey camo

EXITNOONE

tips for deciding your final camo pattern:

1. spray your favorite of the 3 colors as your base
2. use your 2nd favorite color to make the general camo pattern
3. if you think you need your 3rd color, add patches of it where it looks best

i started with black, added gray, was going to do white, but liked the more muted black-gray effect.
just finished my m35a3 and will be adding updates on my build thread...
pics are right after i put on the gray last month. tape still on glass, lights not yet in.
final pics will be in my thread. the paint i used was por 15 hardnose.

Attachments

SGT LongT

That paint job is awesome. I looked up POR 15 Hardnose and it looks like some pretty tough stuff. We just need them to come out with some 383 green, tan, and other mil spec paints. :idea:We could be their "research group" to put the paint up to some tests.

EXITNOONE

por 15 hardnose paints have a color chart on their website. i haven't seen their green in person to make a comparison to 383, but the one thing that will never compare to mil spec paints is the gloss. por 15 hardnose is very glossy. that's not always desirable for the mv guys as most camo paint jobs are flat. they have another paint called blackote which is less glossy... but only comes in black. not sure if por 15 offers a flattening agent for hardnose, but call their info line. they will talk you through any decision. expensive paint, but so far it's been rock hard. the only exception is that it can chip around contact edges or flexing edges like hinges. flat surfaces like where the tail gate meets the bed rails are fine. takes 2-3 weeks to fully harden.

jimmy-90

Im not familiar with POR 15 hardnose but I do know that regular POR 15 is UV sensitive and may not be great for a truck body. Unless you top coat it with something elese or keep your truck in a garage.

As a few have said john if u can live it dowhat ya want its your truck:] im happy with od green and red my red one gets a few looks cuase of the push bumper and the cleavis's hanging on the front and rear bumpers which lookin at it u cant tell its an old military truck most people think its just a chevy 1 ton till u open the door and see the interior which is ok now i have an od green one i cant wait to see the looks on peoples faces when i drive that one haha :)

i have to say the cops messing with a suspious mv in dowtown that was to funny im sure that was fun to deal with :]

Last edited:

ctmustang

A couple years ago I purchased a deuce from GL in Pa. I couldn't tell from the pics on gl but what a kick to drive all night and get there and find my deuce is painted arctic camo-black white grey. It didn't look bad at all. Only problem was it had been that way for a long time and was peeling bad. I liked it and so did everybody else from 50 ft. away. I say go for it.
CT

EXITNOONE

great old arctic pic CTMUSTANG.
hard to tell if it's a faded black or a dark gray in the pattern.

to clarify about por 15... only the rust inhibitor is uv sensitive.
por 15 topcoats like hardnose are not uv sensitive

TANKIE- looks like it was new

COMBATMECH- similar to what i said above, doesn't look like the arctic pattern has any real black in it. just 3 tones of gray.
so keep that in mind on your version... weird commie looking red star.

here's a helo painted by my buddy in the navy. he's done a few others with even wilder squadron designs.
you can find various shots of this same helo all over the web.

Attachments

combatmech

What's with the red star?

Some kind of OPFOR thing for all the training at Fallon?
A little bit I guess, I worked at NSAWC on the Tomcat side from 2001 to 2003. We had a shukoi blue Tomcat that was "struck" about six months after I got there. Most of what we had at the time was old and very tired. ( Hornets and Seahawks included) There was a Desert cammo 60 with a red star as well.

ssdvc

I have the navy grey paint job and I like this camo one above ALOT !!! Getting some spray cans and I am going to do something similar. I first have to fix some rust through on a rocker panel that got missed during my resto.

A

A/C Cages

Grant is making my bobber right now,,, when its done Im having one of my welders who is also an artist do a black, white, and grey camo job on it too. But mines going to be a little different since I live here in FL. Im going to make it FL related. lol... The other is in case you want to do it in another pattern..lol

Attachments