• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking about making some half doors.

Ddk2001

After looking at some of the aftermarket half doors - and seeing the prices . . . I'm thinking about making my own. Anyone know if the stock 1/2 doors are 1/4" 6061? I decided to mock some up out of 1/4" ply just to see what the might look like.

I kind of like them - and want to get some hard door hinges and paddle latch handles for a final fit before I get them fabbed from aluminum. Anyone know where to source hard door hinges? I can't find them.

I'm thinking about cutting the doors as you see them - and riveting a c-channel at the top to make them look a bit more like factory doors.

-D

Attachments

Last edited:

ari

After looking at some of the aftermarket half doors - and seeing the prices . . . I'm thinking about making my own. Anyone know if the stock 1/2 doors are 1/4" 6061? I decided to mock some up out of 1/4" ply just to see what the might look like.

I kind of like them - and want to get some hard door hinges and paddle latch handles for a final fit before I get them fabbed from aluminum. Anyone know where to source hard door hinges? I can't find them.

I'm thinking about cutting the doorsas you see them - and riveting a c-channel at the top to make them look a bit more like factory doors.

-D
Hard door hinge PN EC12339448-1 and EC12339448-2 Get em from macmotors. get ur latches here http://www.eberhard.com/products/paddle-latches/249-250-series/19683 beats prices of all the other outfits and Epay

Bravojmc

I'm thinking about cutting the doors as you see them - and riveting a c-channel at the top to make them look a bit more like factory doors.

-D
Looks killer my friend!

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made some in the past to mostly match the factory rears.
There's thick shims, inside X door handles, arm rests, paddle handles and rods, and door latches....all X door parts,
except thick shims which are same as rear 1/2 doors use.
Arm rest is similar as rear 1/2 doors.
Rubber bulb seals are also added like rears.
DSC_000286_zpsjgefvool.jpg
DSC_000287_zpsfhbf4d3a.jpg
DSC_000288_zps71yncfpc.jpg

Ddk2001

Found a set of hard door hinges and picked up some door handles and some trim lock seal - and fabbed it all up to fit. I'm going to pick up some 1/4" 6061 and get it cut and installed on all 4 doors. Game on.

IMG_1294.jpg

Last edited:

ari

The paddle latch handle has a dead latch that closes on the soft door latch. I'm thinking about fabricating an aluminum latch - but it closes really well as-is. We'll see once I cut and install the aluminum doors.
are you sure those will hold the door closed real good? i can see them popping open especially with repeated closings the wire striker may start to bend

Ddk2001

are you sure those will hold the door closed real good? i can see them popping open especially with repeated closings the wire striker may start to bend
Am I sure? No. The paddle latch is stout - it overlaps the wire striker plenty. Might the wire start to bend? Maybe - although the doors won't weigh a whole lot more than the soft doors. That's why I said I was thinking about fabricating a solid latch/striker for the dead latch to catch.

I'll see how it performs once I cut and install the doors.

Action

Since it is horizontal, is there a spring inside the latch to keep it in the locked position? to stop it from vibrating forward?

Ddk2001

Since it is horizontal, is there a spring inside the latch to keep it in the locked position? to stop it from vibrating forward?
Yes - the paddle latch is spring loaded. There is no movement whatsoever when it's closed.

IMG_1300.jpg

Im' essentially reproducing what I've seen some aftermarket vendors do with 1/2 doors. Here . . .

Attachments

Last edited:

Ddk2001

I made some in the past to mostly match the factory rears.
There's thick shims, inside X door handles, arm rests, paddle handles and rods, and door latches....all X door parts,
except thick shims which are same as rear 1/2 doors use.
Arm rest is similar as rear 1/2 doors.
Rubber bulb seals are also added like rears.
door looks great 86humv. What material did you use for the doors? 1/4" 6061?

Ddk2001

Well - I finally got around to picking up some 1/4" plate aluminum and hardware - and made the 1/2 doors. They work really well - just need to add some c-channel for an arm rest and repaint the camo pattern on that back door 😬

IMG_1397.jpg

NormB

Awesome.

Now if you can get setup to crank out,say, a dozen sets, and price them reasonably (look at ePay, some folks are gouging, IMHO, but I honestly don't know how much time/labor/materials cost go into a set of these. Knew a guy once with a water jet metal cutter, something like that could cut out a half dozen doors at a time), you'll sell 'em as fast as you can make 'em.

Strong work.

Last edited:

Ddk2001

I finally got around to adding c-channel to the doors and getting them repainted. Real happy with how they came out.
122F6FDA-E669-400C-82B9-4591CCACAC9E.jpg

Last edited: