• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking about purchasing an M998

Jerchambers

So.. Just thought I would get some of your opinions on this... I currently have a 86CUCV and a 2005 Mustang Convertible... However, I have been emailing back and forth with a guy who is selling his 86 M998... It has 20,000 or so miles on it... The guy says he has owned it for 10 years and has all the documents to prove the history prior to.. The only maintenance he has had to do on it was two CV boots and two Batteries... I think it is legit... I need something I can use as a DD and Still get to distances without any problems. We have another vehicle as well but I am not sure to sell both the CUCV and The Mustang to buy the HMMWV. He wants 22k for it which includes 5 spare tires and wheels and 2 axles, and a bunch of other misc stuff he has packed over the years... What do you all think?

treessw

nopics

figured I would try to get this one in there before someone else. I know that people before have got similar year models etc and been very pleased. I know they also paid less for them but that could just be sheer luck. Its going to be the 6.2 with the 3 speed auto. Would make for a awesome looking DD and not to mention you could prob get people to car pool with you just for the sheer cool factor and get some fuel $$$ and maybe the once in a while free cup of coffee. I could be wrong, but your top speed with it will still be 55, much like the M1008. These were the solution to the off the shelf chevy 1-1/4 tons due to the fact they could just not hold up to what the Military was really wanting. I am sure there are guys on here with much more knowledge than what I have for these but just my2cents

Jerchambers

Here is the only picture I have received from him so far.... I have asked for more however, he was away on a business trip or vacation and should be returning shortly... I really want one... I have missed driving one daily since I got out of the Army in 2006... If it was a M997 it would be better but I can always modify with the right price.

Attachments

treessw

I knew there was a good reason that I stayed up!!!!:drool: Funny you should mention the upgrading part... I was going to say the exact same thing!!!! Obviously the wheels and tires are not your standard govt isssue, but all else looks clean. I am with you on wanting one of these myself!!! Seeing your are somewhat familier with this family you know the can of worms your dealing with to some degree. Please see attached pic of my dream machine, guess its only fair to swap pics. You can find your M997 body's for sale on ebay sometimes and on govliq

Attachments

panzerwillie

I got mine over a year ago, my is not a DD and yes 55MPH is good with the 3 SPD i got 2.73 on my maybe better if it has 2.56 however i put a manual 4l80E on my and i can run 65 MPH on the HWY now, have not driving it since early year has i put a fresh code of CARC sustitue 383 paint trying to replace old the old ligths with new ones before it hits the road again, but here on summer rains everyday hard so being a softtop you always get wet , i drive my M1009 all week where i usually put 500 iles plus a week, you will enjoy it and there its lots of parts around including EBAY, even that people said HMMWV stands for HIGH MAINTANCE MONEY WAISTING VEHICLE i have had not problem with mine and driving to show as far as 650 miles round trip , but is not a DD good luckrofl
IMAG0365.jpg

IMAG0360.jpg

nattieleather

I don't think I could drive a HMMWV as a DD. To me they are uncomfortable and I get kind of claustrophobic in them. But that's MHO. Is there a reason the CUCV isn't being used as a DD? It's your choice but for the money I'd invest in making the cab more quiet on the CUCV and keep that as the DD then sell it and the Mustang to get a HMMWV. I know the cool factor isn't there, but to me the truck is far more useful around the house than the cool hummvee would be. Just my$.02. That being said if one fell into my lap so to speak for a good price I wouldn't turn down... ;)

BLK HMMWV

My .02 worth.
I have an 86 HMMWV. I would go crazy driving it everyday.
Things to think about .
Can you get it registered were you live ( for on street driving)?
Can you get it insured?
Were will it be stored ? inside or out?
If you live in a house with some kind of HOA and you don't have room to store it inside a garage what will the HOA say.
Are you mechanicaly inclined and able to do the repairs yourself or do you need things fixed at the local shops?

Whats the weather like most of the year were you live ?

They leak both from the inside out and the outside in .
Do you ever need a vehicle that can carry more than 3 other people.

Remember it's 25 years old .
Yes parts are available but not always as fast as you may need them if it's your only car. Also the parts aren't always cheap.

Is it practicle as a DD for me ? not really.
Price of fuel, price of repair parts, not being able to secure it or items left in it ,road noise, uncomfortable on long trips, loss of hearing and not being water tight in bad weather are all against it, but a ring mount well that's just priceless.

I say if you are itching to get one and you found one with a clean bill of sale and a clear title that you can get registered for on highway use.
Go ahead scratch the itch. You can always sell it later. I doubt you will loose money on it.
But if this will be the only vehicle you have and it will be your DD you might want to rethink it and keep the CUCV.

BH

Jerchambers

Thank you all for the input... I have a lot to think about... I do have another vehicle that the wife drives, however, she doesn't have a need all the time. I only have to drive no more than 1 mile to work when I need to. I live in the high desert planes of Colorado. Last winter it was -35 for a week. The snow didn't quit coming until June. I know from my experience through my 8 years in the Army, that these aren't the most comfortable, and the most tightly sealed machines on the road. I am still thinking about the price I will pay. The guy is willing to negotiate the price down from 22,000. Plus it comes with a lot of extra spare parts. The only maintenance he says he's done is the CV boots in front and the batteries. From what I can tell in the pictures thus far, this is a pretty good deal. I can modify in the future for comfort if it comes to that. I had to do some more maintenance on the CUCV today by replacing the Front Passenger side Bearings... Ouch, what a PITA! The CUCV has become more and more of a POS since I talked the wife into letting me buy it as well. I just hope that the HMMWV won't become the same.

jwaller

I honestly use mine as my DD, but my commute is all back roads and is 15 miles so it's not bad. if I have to go more than 30 miles I won't take it, it's too loud and too slow.

nattieleather

Rule #1 of HMV ownership: You will spend more time under it turning a wrench than you will driving it!

Rule #2 of HMV ownership: Rain water will find your right foot and soak it when driving during a rain storm.

Rule #3 of HMV ownership: If will fail to start just when you need it the most!

I have developed these three rules over 25 plus years of owning may different MVs and have found them to be true on every one. (excpet rule #2 with a CUCV.)

Joe