• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking of buying a halftrack

emptyhead

Hi guy's new member here. I have always been interested in halftracks as a kid and finally decided to start saving money. I mange to scrape about 4500 together so far.I was thinking of buying one of Gary's m2 or m3a1's as a starting point. I am not a mechanical wizard but work on medium sized cutting equipment[lawn] and tractors at work. How hard are they to work on, what would the cost of shipping be for something such as this to NY from some place like Il. I figure about 3 to 4 years minimum. How much money after the investment in a starter vehicle. Do you guys know of anyvehicles that might be closer. Excellent web site. I think it's going to cost me alot of sleepless nights and money if I take the plunge.

FrankUSMC

You might want to start out on some thing small or some thing that is easy to get parts for....like a M35A2 or a jeep.
I own a very complete M2 and I have had a M3 before. They are heavy, you will need a truck with a heavy trailer to move them around, unless you have alot of land to play on. Also, if you brake a track, there is no repairing it, read "$$$.."
Shop around, you might find one cheaper, they do pop up. Good luck.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

emptyhead

Thanks devil dog. I understand that the treads are expensive. I don't want to dump money in something else if I can help it. Also I don't think I can convince the wife into more then one vehicle. I'm still working on her with this idea. Also do you know anyone in my area that I can bang heads with about miltary vehicles.I'm about 15 miles north of the city. Thanks devil dog.

Last edited:

FrankUSMC

Go to G503.com
Go the the forum on TRACKS. Alot of great information on there. Years ago, there was a halftrack dealer in New York, but he has moved west and got out of the halftrack dealings. You might find some one close to you that you could go and look at one. Just post on the forum that you need help.
Now, you said you had a Bride, another reason not to get a halftrack. You can not do any thing with it, other than the parades. She will only see this money pit in the garage, you will go from emptyhead to emptypockets while restoring a halftrack. The one I have now, I got very lucky on, it had all the armor, new tires and tracks. With a small military vehicle, like a jeep, it could be a parade vehicle, the run to the store vehicle or the RECON mission to the ice cream store vehicle.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

AZDeuce

Halftracks are not for the faint of heart or wallet! I did a frame up restoration on a M3A1 that had all the armor. Engines and drivetrains are "everywhere" but armor is usually missing, buy a complete as vehicle as you can afford. Mine had all the armor, but no engine/transmission/transfer. It was still MUCH cheaper to buy this vehicle and get the power train later.

Halftracks are not user friendly, EVERYTHING about them is expensive, they're rough riding, hot in the summer, freezing in the winter, but having said all that.........IT WAS THE COOLEST MV I EVER OWNED!

Blythewoodjoe

I'll have to chime in too. I have always wanted a half track and I have one in the back yard in very poor shape and one parts vehicle too. I found both of them in a junk yard a few hours north of my home. I may never have the time and money to do much with them, but I have always wanted one.

These are very unpractical vehicles. Big money pits. However, you can find them on ebay from time to time all over the country. Shipping is expensive, parts are expensive and hard to find. Don't get in a hurry. Remember, Gary is a dealer. I bought a scout car from him and I think he is a great guy, but anyway you cut it, dealer prices. If you really want one and want it now, he will be your only person in America that will have a selection of vehicles. At least I know of no one else.

Half the fun will be finding one. There is a paint ball course in South Carolina that had one in there "junk yard" area a few years back. I think it was their pride and joy. They even had a drawing of it on there map of the course. I thought about trying to talk them out of it, but realizing I had no money I abandoned the idea. Don't ask for the location, that's classified. But you can start hunting them if you really want adventure. Tracks are expensive, but very reasonable when you consider the tracks for my excavator are $2500 each. The $1300 each for a halt track is a deal.

Like the others, I would suggest something cheaper, more practical and more liquid than a half track. G503 is the best place to hunt too. You can get an idea what parts and vehicles cost if you read the old threads.

Good luck,
Joe

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i love mine. If you want to own armor it the best piece you can own. I use in WWII reenactments and have a full calender of events that it is used for through out the year. Its the bell of the ball at most Car shows and MV events. Here is a picture

Attachments

Reactions: HDN

M215

Halftrack

Hey Emptyhead,
The M2 / M3 series halftracks are the real iconic WW2 vehicle! Like you, I have always wanted a Halftrack. As others have mentioned they are not cheap or easy to deal with. I'm doing ours the hard way, one piece at a time, but this is the only way I can afford one. I started out with a typical cab and chassis, later to discover that I purchased a very worn out cab and chassis.
Bottom line I figure 5-6 years and about $30-35K, but loving every minute!

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/tanks-apcs-etc/45251-halftrack-project.html

Good luck,
Karl

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you will also need a truck and trailer to move it around. No a M35a2 is not a very good choice. I use a F750 and 10ton trailer. Figure this into your cost of owning a track. here it is on a m35 recovery

Attachments

AgeOfDarkness94

Now that you got me thinking, I have always wanted a half track too, or at least to ride in one. Has anyone ever seen one of those WWII geman halftracks in the US? I can't seem to find any but they are by far the sickest thing (besides the m1A1 or the AH64) I have ever seen.

I'll have to agree with m215 though they are not cheap by a long shot. In fact I'd say that short of restoring a vintage WWII plane, they're probly the most expensive projects youll encounter in this hobby. But don't let that stop you, it took me three years to build my dream car with my Dad, and if it's something you really want go for it. Just watch out for incoming bombers! :driver:

AgeOfDarkness94

Now that you got me thinking, I have always wanted a half track too, or at least to ride in one. Has anyone ever seen one of those WWII geman halftracks in the US? I can't seem to find any but they are by far the sickest thing (besides the m1A1 or the AH64) I have ever seen.

I'll have to agree with m215 though they are not cheap by a long shot. In fact I'd say that short of restoring a vintage WWII plane, they're probly the most expensive projects youll encounter in this hobby. But don't let that stop you, it took me three years to build my dream car with my Dad, and if it's something you really want go for it. Just watch out for incoming bombers! :driver:

68t

All i can say, if you really want to have a halftrack, go for it. but just take your time finding a good deal to start with. I started a few years back with my halftracks, I got one restored, and three to restore. I got other ww2 military vehicles i and working on. You will have to walking and talk halftracks to get one restored. But if you got money just go buy you one that is all ready restored. I and working on a t17 halftrack now, it got the soft cab.It a autocar. Well you need to go to g503 down to the tracked section, that where the halftrack folks are, they know there stuff. also you can send us a pm if need any thing, or information. but i like the steelsoilders list the best.

captain-crank

Emptyhead,

I maintain big ZTR lawn equipment and also own a half track.

They are a long way from a mower when you consider the tools and support equipment required to work on them. Think semi tractor. 10 tons.

Moving them is the hardest part of owning IMO. You need to do it safely and legally.
That's if it's running, do you have a way to move a dead one around the yard or shop?

Personally, I think that you are dollars ahead to find a more complete running HT over a 45 hundred dollar project one.

Shipping will vary. You can plan on around 2500 for starters.

emptyhead

Rihght now I was just thinking local driving keeping it in a 5 to 10 mile radius of the home. Will have to figure out where to keep it since it won't fit in the garage.

bill45colt

Half track

I have a friend who kept one in his garage for years. Complete and running if anyone is still interested, Ill ask him if you like. Im at bill45colt@yahoo.com They arent all that heavy I think, only about 14000lbs or so. I haul a d4 Cat 18000lbs on a 30ft goose neck trailer behind ford f250 truck.

They will fit in a typical garage. I have a two and a half car garage that I have had mine in for the last 5 years. That is as long as it doesn't have the pulpit on it (unless you have a higher door opening). Yeah they are more pricey for parts and such but they have that extra cool factor (at least for me). If it takes me a while to restore at least I can sit it it and enjoy the fact that I finally have one! I actually got mine from Gary. I am lucky in that I only live about 10 minutes away from him so delivery and parts shipping is not an issue for most things. I agree, if you want one get one!

David_4x4

Halftracks are great vehicles. I have a friend that just bought an M4a1, it fits in his garage, aftere he had to punch a hole in the wall!!

Anyways, good luck. Id love to own one some day.

hughscpa

Emptyhead, if you restore it, I will help with storage. My garage has an open space for a halftrack. I could even drive it on occasion for you if you would like[thumbzup]

captain-crank

I have a friend who kept one in his garage for years. Complete and running if anyone is still interested, Ill ask him if you like. Im at bill45colt@yahoo.com They arent all that heavy I think, only about 14000lbs or so. I haul a d4 Cat 18000lbs on a 30ft goose neck trailer behind ford f250 truck.
18K behind a 3/4 ton? That's not something I would be proud of or brag about.

You will find that your insurance carrier will abandon you when you wreck and kill someone.

Gross weight of an M-3 is 17,650. Add the weight of a trailer and you are towing ~20K.

M9A1 is heavier at a gross weight of 19,050.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks