• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking of buying a MEP 803a. What should I look for?

kekle

I've been watching the Online government auctions, looking for an 803a.
What should I be looking for?
What is considered High Time on one of these generators?
Cecil

Last edited:

1800 Diesel

I've been watching the GOV Planet auctions, looking for an 803a.
What should I be looking for?
What is considered High Time on one of these generators?

Cecil
Cecil,

Welcome to the forum--you've come to the right place.
Unless things have settled down since Puerto Rico, it's a bad time to be a buyer for these units. Prices have been beyond crazy--in the thousands. Read recent threads about the high prices on the 803As.

When considering a generator I look at overall appearance more than hours on the meter. Generally hour meters aren't replaced during resets, so a high clock number doesn't necessarily mean that specific engine (or generator head) has run that long. On the MEP-002A & 003As, I've bought them with over 3000 hrs (many years ago) and they're still running fine. I have a few 802A & 803A units but don't have the long-term experience with those as far as durability and dependability and expected life expectancy in run hours. I would expect they'll go in the thousands of hours with no issues, provided oil changes are frequent and fuel, air & oil filters are also serviced within the TM recommendations. The only thing that concerns me about the 802/803As is the higher amount of electronics/complexity compared to their older cousins. However, they are much quieter though than the air-cooled units. Of course they also look "cooler" than the older models too. ;)

Lastly, be aware of the forum rules about posting active auctions--this is not allowed.

BTW, what part of FL are you located? Many miles between Miami & Pensacola!

kekle

Thanks for the reply 1800 Diesel,
I'm north of Orlando, not in the Great White north like you up in the panhandle. But I am from Niceville if it helps?
I am willing to wait to get a good unit.
Cecil

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right now you can probably get a known running unit off C/L ,SS classifieds ect. cheaper than you can buy a unknown unit from auction.

Bmxenbrett

Since your in florida i would wait a few months to possibly a year. The prices are through the roof down there right now.

Hours are really only a flip of a coin. Could be low hours but lived in a desert. But i still perfer to buy with less than 300hrs. Make sure you buy one that has the rain cap and its closed. Also no missing parts.

1800 Diesel

Good plan--just keep watching the closing prices....hopefully things will settle down soon.

Niceville--yep not too far from Eglin. Heading over there today for a pickup. We get down to Orlando every now and then when the wife wants to go to mickey world....

Good luck on the 803 hunt...patience is a good thing... :)

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey, I'll wait a year. At least until August of 2018.
I don't even know which MEP I need but want from an SS member
that will sell me a unit that is "fixed up" and proven.
Just contact frank8003 or post here in auxiliary equipment.
Why no MEP forum thing of its own yet?

1800 Diesel

Thanks everyone for the advice.
1800, I was born at Eglin.

I'll keep watching

Cecil
Small world. Eglin is quite the place--lots of acreage spread out for miles and miles....love hearing the ordnance work when I'm out on East Bay fishing.... sometimes M134s firing and other times a few bombs dropping... :) As for the jet noise during the day I can live without that....

lindsey97

I have heard 15k-20k hours on the MEP-802 and MEP-803 when properly maintained. Be sure it has an exhaust flapper when picking one out, and if possible look down the exhaust for rain water/snow.

jamawieb

Just for reference, I have a guy who bought a 802a with 200hours, in January 2017 to run his homestead. I spoke with him about 2 weeks ago and he has logged 7,433hrs running 20-24hrs a day without 1 issue.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are MANY things to look for. As others have said... dont be too concerned with the hour meter. Take a look at the condition of all gauges (and if through someone like Government Planet... if those gauges actually operate when they do their run video), and the overall condition of the engine. Pay attention to where hoses go into the block (for seepage which will cause paint to peel, sensors to go bad, etc). Also pay attention to the manifold to see if there is black goop stained on or dripping from it. This is a sign of a set which has not been run hard (the muffler and upper end might be caked in unburned fuel).

Any set though in reality is a crapshoot from auction. I just got a real nice 802 a few weeks back... not a single gauge on the face, sans hertz, is functional. Very clean, 600ish hours, etc. Take your time, find something you want, and don't pay more than you want. We are still in the fat middle of the bell curve of units available for these (very little in the beginning, mass exodus out of armed forces now (as newest generation is online)), and tapering supply in the coming years. Sets come up all the time.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, and make sure the mating area between upper engine block and manifold is nice and clean. Don't want to walk into leaking gaskets.

stugpanzer

As I am new to this also for those that have been involved with these more, would it be better for the op to look for auctions in other areas, away from hurricane prone areas? I know there are some in Pennsylvania and a bunch in Ohio.

Demoh

As I am new to this also for those that have been involved with these more, would it be better for the op to look for auctions in other areas, away from hurricane prone areas? I know there are some in Pennsylvania and a bunch in Ohio.
Ive noticed its hit or miss, normally the PA ones have trailers so they post for more anyways. I do notice in my purchases and my first and last trip to PA that any generator that was being moved and I got a chance to talk to was headed south. I did meet a guy in GA with a flatbed semi which was on his 8th load and that was probably about a month or 2 ago..

Ive also noticed that people like that dont want the trailer ones as they are harder to transport. So far all except 3 of the units ive gotten have been trailer units due to lower price and ive been storing the trailers on my brother's land because they are worthless to me. (I have 77 inches of clearance to get to my backyard which means I can store a total of zero trailers in back and 1 in the driveway... I wish I forsaw me getting heavy into these units when I bought the house :shrugs: )

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have moved about a dozen sets out of PA in about 2.5 months. The skid units go for much more these days than the trailer units (on the whole), as they are easier to ship (like you said). And not everyone can tow (or WANT to tow) a set on a trailer. I can't wait for some semblance of pricing normalcy to return.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not all sets are created equal! I pulled one out... the rest have gone on flat deck trailer thereafter. I got lucky the first time.

Firebrand

Take your time and wait for the right unit at a price you can live with.

Look at the oil analysis in the listing as that can tell you as much, if not more, than the photos. Look for fluid stains on the engine and case floor as there is a story there. Exterior cosmetics are informative, but the interior images can reveal much about the unit's care and feeding.

There are many good units showing up at PA locations with trailers. Since I purchased mine over a year ago, many friends and neighbors have spied the trailer out by my barn and come up with great 'plans' for what they would use it for. They do sell quickly on C/L from around $500 to $900 up here in New England.

Be careful where you park yours as it quickly becomes a conversation piece!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks