• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

thinking of GL auction

justacitizen

was thinking of replacing my 002A with a newer unit from GL. anyone know what they are going for aprox? any advice? i have never done the GL auction before. what about shipping?

jamawieb

Right now may not be the best time. Auction prices are crazy! I have people calling everyday to see if I have any for sale and I've got 2 to work on that people have already put down payments on. Just know that its a crap shoot because most of the time you don't know the working condition and you're buying as is. On the GL website they have a trucking company that will haul for you but you may find it cheaper somewhere else like uship.com.

justacitizen

Oh thats rght! i didn't think about the hurricanes. oh well i got time as the 002A is running fine, i just have an itch for something new.

Right now may not be the best time. Auction prices are crazy! I have people calling everyday to see if I have any for sale and I've got 2 to work on that people have already put down payments on. Just know that its a crap shoot because most of the time you don't know the working condition and you're buying as is. On the GL website they have a trucking company that will haul for you but you may find it cheaper somewhere else like uship.com.

Tactical MF

About 4 weeks ago, I got a 1998 M1078 with winch. Great condition except for tie rod bushings..... picked it up for $9100, the week after hurricane Harvey, the non winch trucks were going for $15K or more...... Best advice, don't be in a hurry and wait for the right truck.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
About 4 weeks ago, I got a 1998 M1078 with winch. Great condition except for tie rod bushings..... picked it up for $9100, the week after hurricane Harvey, the non winch trucks were going for $15K or more...... Best advice, don't be in a hurry and wait for the right truck.
GL doesn't sell military trucks anymore and he's talking about a generator, not a truck.

justacitizen

Thanks guy's. are there any other auction sites i should monitor while i wait for the surge to slow down? another angle is after things calm down there will be some expensive generators for sale because the need vanished.

rogpike

It will calm down... for a lot of people they would rather have the cash than the machine that doesn't get used often...they will worry about it when it happens again.

jamawieb

It will calm down... for a lot of people they would rather have the cash than the machine that doesn't get used often...they will worry about it when it happens again.
That's right. During an emergency, every generator is bought up within 100 square miles, then about a month later everyone is selling them to re-coop their cash, you'll especially see a lot at the pawn shops.

fa35jsf

I won a MEP-802A on GL about two weeks ago. My high bid was something like $431 and so I paid $500 even out the door with taxes and buyers fees. Good news is it was well maintained with fresh fluids in it. All I had to do was replace a battery and it fired right up and is completely functional. It had 400+ hours on it. Some of the lower hour ones went for $1000+. Just look at the pictures very closely and look for signs of abuse or improper maintenance. The outside may be dented up, as mine is, but the inside could be in great condition.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are lucky having a depot right in OKC. Especially here in the northeast... supply is quite limited. So we have to look at 500-$1k on top of any sale price, just in freight to get them up here.

eatont9999

was thinking of replacing my 002A with a newer unit from GL. anyone know what they are going for aprox? any advice? i have never done the GL auction before. what about shipping?
Since you live in Oklahoma, you might want to consider renting a trailer and picking up the unit before you drop a grand on someone to ship it. From OKC to Fort Worth, the quotes I got for one 803A shipped was right around $1000. Seems like if you want anything roughly the size of a pallet put on a truck, you are looking at a grand a piece.

Chainbreaker

That's right. During an emergency, every generator is bought up within 100 square miles, then about a month later everyone is selling them to re-coop their cash, you'll especially see a lot at the pawn shops.
Another good time to look at private generator sale offerings is after the end-of-year Holidays. Some people over indulge and go on a buying frenzy...Black Friday, etc. and eventually the Christmas shopping bill hits the credit card statement and that's when some people need to liquidate stuff to free up cash to make ends meet. Sometimes its a case of let's sell the generator just collecting dust in the garage. Motivated sellers are always more realistic with pricing.

justacitizen

i don't need to rent a trailer as i already own one but unless i bought a multiple lot i would probably just haul on my flatbed. it is silly the amount freight you guys are being charged to ship. these things were designed to be transportable as is. should be about 500 or less to cross the US.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its $750 to ship each of my motorcycles cross country. Maybe you should say you are shipping motorcycles. ;)

NATCAD

Since you live in Oklahoma, you might want to consider renting a trailer and picking up the unit before you drop a grand on someone to ship it. From OKC to Fort Worth, the quotes I got for one 803A shipped was right around $1000. Seems like if you want anything roughly the size of a pallet put on a truck, you are looking at a grand a piece.
If anyone needs help getting a generator moved, pm me and I will give you my ltl freight contact info that we use for business. Very good rates.

USAMilRet

I was watching Iron Planet auctions in GA last week and low hour operational gen set MEP803 were selling for $7500. High hour non working for as much as $6000. Parts units for $5000. Plus 10% fee, sales tax @ 7% and transportation costs.

Thank you Irma. Will take awhile for prices to come down again due to Irma, Harvey, Marie, and whatever is coming next.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks