• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking of selling the M1009....

JPDC

I know this isn't the classifieds forum, but I'm not sure I want to sell it yet. I have an 86 with 55k on it. Four new Kumho All Terrains on it and also the spare. Everything works. Added a stereo with CD player and ipod jack with 2 Alpine speakers. Has a 7.5' Blizzard snowplow on it. Used it all winter with no problems.

Only rust is on tailgate and drivers rocker.

Thinking about asking $6350 with the plow. I made over $25k last winter with this thing!!

Thoughts? Any interest?

Thanks!

JPDC

2 answers:

1. In this forum for guys who don't do snowplowing too much, I can see your point. But to find a rig built like these with the low mileage, ease of repair and the fact that mine was one of the only trucks in our 40 truck fleet that did not have any problems with the 2 blizzards we had this year, it is worth it. Most guys spend a lot for the "old iron". It is the only stuff that lasts more than a few winters...

2. The money is great, but it is a huge time commitment and I have two kids under 4. My wife was waiting for me the last time I plowed straight for 36 hrs. She was less than thrilled with being snowed in with 2 kids and nothing to do for almost two full days... fat lady sings

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The downside with a plow truck is the front end takes a beating. I've done snow plowing in Alaska so I have first hand experience with how a plow truck is used. I know a CUCV is built tough but that does not mean the front end is bulletproof. Plus the transmission and rear axle see a lot more back and forth use then a normal daily driver truck would. Low mileage on a regular vehicle is one thing but low mileage on a plow truck is something else. If I were looking for a truck to restore I would avoid a plow truck unless the price was low enough to outway any extra cost the front end might need for repairs. Not trying to nit-pick. Just my 2cents.

Ruppster

ABN173

I'm just curious but wouldn't a M1008 with the lower gearing and Dana 60 axles make a better plow truck than a M1009?

USAWEAPON777

:ditto: a 14bolt and and dana 60 are way stronger then the 10bolt. I would of thought the m1009 would be a slug plowing but apparently not. Do you have to use low range or does it do fine in 4hi?

JPDC

Agreed. M1008 is better. But I already have a pickup so I was thinking the Blazer could be more fun the rest of the year. I probably only put 500 miles on it last year with the plowing and all! Plus the trannys in these are better than most out there today.

The trucks do need to be maintained, but someone who knows what they are doing and how to take care of a truck, can make one of these last a long time. For instance I did mostly driveways and a couple small lots. No large lots or streets where the trucks do tend to take more of a beating.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm just curious but wouldn't a M1008 with the lower gearing and Dana 60 axles make a better plow truck than a M1009?

When doing parking lots the shorter wheelbase is easier to deal with then a long bed pickup. A perfect combo would be an M1009 with axles and springs from an M1008.

:ditto: a 14bolt and and dana 60 are way stronger then the 10bolt. I would of thought the m1009 would be a slug plowing but apparently not. Do you have to use low range or does it do fine in 4hi?
Depends on the size of the lot or driveway and how much snow was on the ground. If a lot of plowing was needed I would go ahead and use low range as it makes for less stress on the engine and transmission. Even if the truck in question was an M1008 with the stronger axles and low gears I would still use low range. But if it was a real quick one or two pass plow job with just a few inches of snow I wouldn't bother taking the transfer case out of high.

Ruppster

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Ruppster, To bad you could not have made it out to Jimbo's BBQ when I visited the Tamps Clan last week.
I was there. I was the lard arse on the other side of the table with Cessnatwin. I was sitting across from the SS member formally known as SixSpeed and I tried to pick up the tab for the whole table but some jerk behind me tricked the poor waitress in to giving your bill to him instead, so I was only able to get Cessnatwin's dinner. :D

It was nice to meet you and your friend.

Ruppster

ABN173

opps.....I remember you now, I guess that's what happens when you try to cram a mini rally into one hour lol.

I was told by my PSG (SSG Gaither) that somebody outside of our group saw us help the WWII pilot when he fell and picked up our tab. Regardless, thank you never the less.

edit: Sorry for the thread Hy-jack JPDC
-Dale

Last edited:

JPDC

The truck was a beast all winter. We had two events over 2 feet and it was the snowiest winter on record for Wash DC going back as far as record keeping goes (we beat out 1899 by at least 6 inches).

The truck plowed most of the time with about 500lbs ballast (sandbags) in the back. That seemed to even out the ride and give me pretty good traction. I try to plow in 2WD as much as possible and only shift into 4WD when I lose traction.

I did use 4WD Lo to break into lots that had not been plowed yet. It came down so fast and hard that we could not do our usual routes in our usual times, so a couple lots got left until after the storm (2+ feet!!!). Drop it in 4Lo and it did not miss a beat. It was an absolute monster. Had it running nonstop for days at a time. Home to sleep for a couple hours with the little 6.2 chattering away in the driveway.

I had to pull out at least 10 guys over the two events. I never got stuck and I was called in to break through the main entrances most of the time. I never beat the truck, I just used it the right way. Never slamming the piles. Never shifting into drive or reverse without a complete stop.

Only problem I had was a wiper broke off on the drivers side leaving just the arm. switched over the passenger one and duck taped the end of the arm on the other side (it still gouged my window a little bit through the tape :sad:)

The short wheelbase is great in tight spots. I do need to redo the front springs, I think they are sagging a bit just from age.

Any other questions!! I attached a couple pics. The last one is part of what I spent the money on!! Getting mounted right now to go over the fireplace!! :shock:

Last edited:

Heavysteven

:ditto:Hard sale i think the market is flooded with CUCV's right now. Maybe you'll get a bite. Finding someone with 6k + in cash is hard to come by these days. I would say after reading the thread that it being used as a snow plow is a bad thing.

Why not sell them seperately?

Last edited:

mangus580

I love my 1009 for plowing. I ALWAYS plow in low range - no matter what. MUCH easier on the engine and tranny that way. With the right tires on it, the 1009 is an ANIMAL for plowing. Numerous times I have plowed 2-3 feet with no issue. I will say I did finally meet its limits this past spring with our last storm. That had to be the heaviest snow I have ever tried to push. When the ole 6.2 runs out of steam in low range, you know you are moving some weight!

I sure will miss it next year... :-( but a family size adjustment has forced to me adjust my vehicle size to match.... One of these days I might get it listed for sale.....

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say after reading the thread that it being used as a snow plow is a bad thing.
Not necessarily. But I would go over a frame of a plow truck with a fine tooth comb first, especially around where the steering box bolts up as this is a very weak area on 80's Chevy trucks and prone to cracking. JPDC says he has given extra maintenance to his truck and I have no reason to doubt him on that. But if I were to look at a plow truck that is being sold by someone I didn't know and that person told me it was well maintained but I see a lot of little problems (no reverse lights or turn signals, door latches not working, that sort of thing) I would have to wonder how low that maintenance standard was. If the seller couldn't be bothered with such minor problems how can you believe them about the rest of the truck? I'm not talking about JPDC and his M1009, I'm talking about when looking at any plow truck being sold by some unknown person. But if I did not know the maintenence history of a plow truck I would not buy it unless the price was low enough to make it worth the while in case it needed extra work put in to it to do any repairs to the front end.

Why sell them seperately?
Some people do this as it makes it easier to sell the truck. Not everyone has need for a snow plow. So a non-plow truck will be of more interest to a larger market of buyers. Then you can sell the plow itself to someone that has the same kind of truck. The problem is I have seen some people do this because they are trying to hide the fact that the truck was used as a plow truck. If you know what to look for most plow trucks will have tall tell signs of it having been one. I have looked at a few trucks over the years that I detected these signs on but when I asked the sellers about it they hesitated on answering the questions. So six of one, half a dozen of another I quess. You can sell it with or without the plow, just depends on what market the seller of the truck wants to go for.

Ruppster

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks