• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

thinking of swapping to gas

jason lott

I'm having expensive problems with my m1008 again. Injection pump is going I think and now I see oil leaking from one of the heads. I'm told these are both very exspensive fixes. I'm in upstate NY so there are tons of rusted out gas trucks around. I've found an 83 half ton with a strong 350. Would I be able to swap out the motor and use the 700r4 that's currently on the 6.2. I know the torque converter is different. Bolt pattern & splines??? What will I have use from the donor truck? Cooling system? Gas tank? Wiring harness? The donor truck runs and goes down the road fine, just a rust bucket. Think I can pick it up for $800. Any help out there?

Phantasom

6.2 Or 6.5

I have both of these motors with low miles and a very afforable price
One is in a Airforce Suburban and the 6.5 is in an airforce utility van

acmunro

Where is the oil leaking from the head at ? Was the 700r4 swapped in from a diesel or a gas truck ? Different torque converter is right. Also make sure the TV cable is set properly and has the correct geometry. SBC and 6.2 has the same bell housing pattern. Probably have to use cat converter (s) in the exhaust.

4bogginchevys

probably easier to put another 6.2 back in, if affordable one is found. Lots more work to put a small block in but could be worth it if your into it, just have to figure out what to do with all the extra unused wires...2cents

m38inmaine

I am in need of a 6.2 and will be heading to NY soon to recover some items at Dogheads. I would be interested in buying your 6.2 if you pull it.

Mark

Cucvnut

if you get the 350 make sure you get the wireing harness. it should just plug in to where the 24v one plugs in to the fuse box. or take the fust box also from the gas truck. its a lot easier having the correct wireing harness than chopping the 24v one up to work with 12v. you will need to get a new gas tank or boil yours out to work for gas. as for the torque conveter you can use it but it might not work 100 percent it is for a lower reving diesel truck.

Phantasom

Ok I was wrong I have two 6.2 both under 80,0000 Both good runners $700 for the one with the lower miles and $500 for the other with 80,000 miles One is still in the suburban if you need to hear it run
Scott

jason lott

acmunro- It's leaking onto the top of the engine block, it's only a little but my lack of experience has me nervous. not sure what the tranny came out of but I've had it out and it has a diesel torque converter. Also what is the proper way to adjust the tv cable? This morning I pulled the drain plug and no coolant in the oil. So that's a plus. I've been warned that it's common for the heads to crack on the 6.2. Otherwise I'm not to worried about the expense of simply replacing the head gaskets and head bolts.

Cucvnut

hey just to remind you

For Sale Ads and/or Want Ads are NOT allowed to be posted in the forums. Please use the Classified Ads!

so if your going to sell something on here pm them.

jason lott

phantasom, Stand by. I might be interested, but I want to get all the info I can get before I jump on anything. Feeling like a gasser might be a better fit for me right now do to lack of experience with the 6.2. Should have thought of that before I bought the truck, but I just couldn't help myself. these trucks are great.

Yarb

I have been thinking about buying a a m1008 or an 880 for a while. I have searched and read alot of threads, but would like to know whether you gentleman believe it to be a relatively troublefree vehicle for it's age. Also, is it an expensive truck to work on?

Sorry if that is thread hi-jacking. Many thanks.

jason lott

The problem that led me to seeing this head gasket leak has to do with my injection pump, I think. The truck started out surging while cruising at half throttle. It has since started to lose power under the same conditions. It has even stalled completely while turning up a steep hill. Am I on the right track with the injection pump. I checked the fuel return valve and it's clean and seems to work properly.

2deuce

I'm wondering if your pulling air. Could account for the surging. Filter base is a common culprit. Parking with the nose up seems to let the fuel drain back to the tank easier if there is an air leak. Turning up a steep hill sounds like it ran out of fuel. Was it hard to restart?

rlwm211

Head gaskets do not normally leak oil. It is very rare that they do. I would think you have a leal in a valve cover gasket or else the head gasket is "weeping" and maybe retorquing them would solve that. That is just time and little bit of work.

Changing to a gas engine is problematic in a lot of ways. I would not recommend trying to convert to a computer managed fuel and spark system as the truck does not have any of the necessary wiring you would need. Additionally you would be returning to a carburator and distributor and the adjustments that go along with that. There are a lot of "details" that would have to be taken care of to convert the truck to gas and if you are not knowledgeable about such things you are not making your situation any easier by changing over.

Lastly, if your truck ahs a 700R4 you may, or may not have a locking torque convertor. If not, a gas engine will lower your fuel mileage considerably.

I would try to get some help from one of the CUCV owners who live near you. I think the suggestion that you have a lift pump problem is a likely problem and that is easily fixed. Air leakage into the fuel system will make your truck run weakly if at all. You need to properly diagnose the problem before giving up on the engine you have.

Just my two cents
RL

2deuce

I think its really important to run some lube in your fuel to keep your IP healthy. They weren't designed for the ULSD we have now. Even the offroad diesel is ULSD only with dye added out here. I think 2 stroke oil is the best. If the IP is going out its probably too late to help this one, unless your problem is something like pulling air, or a clogged filter.

My question for you guys with alot of experience with the 6.2 and its IP is what are the telltale signs that its going out?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks