• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This 8X8 makes a Tatra 813 look small....

Alaskossie

I realize this is not an ex-military vehicle, but it is so over-the-top that it deserves to be looked at. I took the photo from behind a storage yard fence in Anchorage, so it's not "up close and personal."

This is an 8X8 oilfield truck, used on the North Slope of Alaska. I don't know who the manufacturer is. None of the axles steer -- the truck is articulated in the middle.

If it had a model name, I guess "The Intimidator" would fit.

Alaskossie

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I doubt that vehicle would be approved for highway use, CUCVFAN. It looks overwidth. The HEMTT is barely within legal guidelines for highway travel.

But you're right - it would be cool!

dma251

Re: RE: This 8X8 makes a Tatra 813 look small....

citizensoldier said:
I would like to test its car crushing ability.. :)

Take it from me - Crushing cars with a former military vehicle is both socially unbecoming and just plain bad form.

I used to be one of "those" people before the I was kindly schooled in the ways of goodness and light by the moral-majority here.

Please, don't try this yourself. No matter how strong the urge. :wink: :wink:

Attachments

123mack

Reminds me of some of the trucks the Army tested back in the 50's- such as the "Rollagon". Crismon's book has pictures of some of those one-off test trucks.

800summit

About 20 years ago they thought they would try a short cut to the mine, Got Stuck for a couple of days and had to offload the fuel. They left deep trenches at the end of the lake.

I know this because I have a hunting cabin on Mankomen Lake

Alaskossie

I'm not convinced that the truck I sent the original photo of is a Nodwell Commander. All of the Nodwell wheeled vehicles shown on their website are 2 and 3-axle, not 4-axle, and none is as close-coupled as the one I sent the photo of.

Alaskossie