• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This cold weather..

CSX90

Started the truck today and it was a high of 4 all day. Got the truck out and moved it around a bit in low range first and all of a sudden a bunch of loud clicking happens, from what sounds like under the dash. First thought was ice froze some air line or release. Checked as much as I could in this cold weather. I came to the conclusion it has something to do with the brakes beacause it felt as if with each loud click the brakes would come on slightly. Doubt anything electrical. Also the air pressure gauge jumped slighty with each click. Anyone else have this happen? Ill be out when its warmer towards the end of the week to take a deeper look.

Also, all trucks came with the Alcohol evap not just ones equipped with heaters or anything correct? Thats the first place Im going to look later..

Last edited:

jwaller

clicking could be the air gov cutting in and out.

only artic kit equipped trucks had the evaporator but it can be added to any truck.

CSX90

I think its louder then when the gov kicks in and out, and much faster. But thanks for the input, I will check that out aswell. Ill have to get the evap aswell as I have no arctic heater.

Scarecrow1

Im likely to agree with ice in the line at that temp I don't see why it wouldnt have ice without a dryer in it ...If it dosen't happen again today the it might of been the ice . Good luck :razz:

CSX90

I bleed both the tanks after every drive in this weather. Couple times the water froze in the spout and had to use my lighter to thaw.

No air assist.

And after delling more into it today, I would say more then likely just ice in the line somewhere.

Edit : Was just curious if this happend to other people and where abouts the most common freeze spot was.

Last edited:

retiredtoy

I am still learning something every time i read a new thread. I was in AF from 60 to 65 and worked on Bomarc missiles in florida. I always wanted an army truck and finally bought an M35A2. It is in very good shape and I am trying to learn how to keep it that way. I am amazed at all the stuff some of you know about these vehicles. I would venture to say that I could point to any part of your body and wouldn't know the name of that part. I'm the same way. We love our toys.
Anyway, I am just hearing about the Alcohol Evap. system for the first time. Please tell me how to know where to get one. I wanted a heater in mine so I had to buy 4 winterization kits on GL just to get one. Got it installed but I'm pretty sure I don't have Alcohol system. Thanks John

WS2811

I have the same situation on cold days. I was very concerned the first time I heard it, but nothing broke yet. I first thought it might be the air assist regulator, but since you don,t have that, I agree that it is probably coming from the air gov. The two are very close on the firewall in my truck. Now if I can fix the frozen fuel line, I can see if it still doing it as the weather has warmed up a little.

CSX90

John, I will check that out beacause it only does it once its moved, maybe speedo(?). But it does continue even after stopping. Also going after the air gov and the connection between both air tanks. Each click it makes the air pressure gauge jumps slightly aswell..

rlwm211

I agree with JATONKA.

I know my speedo jumps and cliicks when it is cold out. I am sure it is the cable and solidified grease spinning around together and binding in the housing. I took the housing off and shot some lube in there to try to ease the problem on my deuce.

The vibration from the cable might be making the air gauge hop. You figure you have an actual out of round going on under the dash and that motion and movement has to translate to something, or somewhere, otherwise stuff would break.

Get a heater Dave, your gonna need it in the area of NYS you are in.

Just my two cents...

Heavy Hooker

I would agree that its an air governor issue as I have had this problem before and had to use a propane torch to thaw the governor. I have had to pour gas line HEET(alcohol) into the air compressor to air tank line to get all the moisture out of the system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks