• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

this could happen to you

eddiec

ever have a bad day. how about sitting at a red light, behind a reaaly nice looking toyota corolla. in a 40,000 lb wrecker, then the pin in the clutch linkage brakes? heck of a way to start a friday. before you even say it, the turn light had just turned green, that is when i put her in gear. poor guy nearly soiled himself.
never new a wrecker could lunge forward so fast. i was just thankful that there were no children in the car.

Mathias

Bummer of a day :(

A few years ago I was sitting at a red light in my Cavalier when the clutch's slave cylinder failed, launching me into the intersection... of course the Cavalier possibly couldn't do the damage your wrecker would, but it's still a little unsettling.

Glad to hear no one got hurt.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I tried to take off from a green light in reverse today.

Guy behind me couldn't have been thrilled.

beetle

Ben there . Lost the brakes on my deuce last year just after leaving busy downtown State College. I had wore a hole in drivers side front brake line. The spring holding the line away from the tire had broke. The e-brake slowed me down and a tree stopped me. No damage to my deuce. Just my pride and the tree showed signs of stress. I now inspect those lines regularly & keep my e-brake in good working order.

Towman2277

Well, a few months back, I was rolling 45 mph coming up to an intersection, went to hit the brake and WHAM, it smacked the floor with a sickening thud. I yelled, grabbed 4th, and layed on the horn all the way thorugh the intersection....... luckily no one was in front of me ( they all stopped before they got in my path), but it scraed me soooo bad, I had to sit on the side of the road for about an hour to slow down my heart!! Now, I approach VERY cautiously!!!! :driver:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
maybe stupid but I always begin to slow down long before approaching an intersection. You can almost stop a duece without the brakes just by using gearing.

DrFoster

From my days training people on 80,000lb semis, and holds true today: One thing to remember - NEVER EVER drive a deuce like a car! Braking should be done far far away (up to or over 1/4 mile in advance to plan and slow on the highway or shorter distances, acceleration should not be made to keep up with other cars, after all, it is a truck and not a car. I see way too many guys around my area driving dead heads and dumpers like they only have 4 wheels.

Sounds like a good set of lessons learned here. It takes a lot of discipline to drive a big vehicle and understand that simply, "it isn't a car, and doesn't go like one." I've read a few posts here, just for note, that explain how people are only getting 8-10 mpg on their deuces in normal driving, and that is probably why... I've been getting 14.5-16.2 with singles and a "patient" throttle and braking routine - no $hit - without much loss of acceleration or braking.

Another thing I taught them was the clutch is not for slowing the truck down on offramps and so forth. It costs a lot less to use the brakes, and is far easier to replace.

Now I'm going to go outside and check the clutch pin which was NOT a part of my pre-trips UNTIL NOW.... THANKS for posting and I'm also sorry to hear about your "oops" but if it spared another one of us having an accident by learning from that lesson, it was worth the post.

Robert

P.S. I can park my honda civic UNDER the bumper of the deuce, until the bumper almost touches the front axle... I'd hate to see how that would turn out in an accident!!! 0.o

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks