• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This fell off my starter - do I need a new starter?

dace

So I have been working on my new to me M998. I am in the process of making all new battery cables and clean off the connector. When removing the power cables from the starter this fell off. Its the clear the stud on the solenoid is roasted. Im assuming I need a new starter.

IMG_6757.jpeg

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At minimum you'd need to take your existing starter in to a competent starter repair shop and get it checked out.
At worst you need a new starter.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as it didn't damage the windings inside the starter motor, you'll probably be okay with a new solenoid rather than complete starter, but that's what a starter rebuild shop will determine. It's almost always worth the money spent getting it fixed right and not having to remove the starter a second (or more) time

87cr250r

If you want to go the gear reduction route the 28MT starters can be found new OEM but they'll have a SAE #1 mounting flange. Aftermarket end housings are about $17 and will convert the starter to pad mount for GM engines.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heck I think this would fit... then again I am not 100% sure... It's a gear reduction starter so much lighter...

Last month I installed a gear reduction starter. Seems ok so far. Some positives, some negatives. This is the one I used: Rareelectrical 24 VOLT GEAR REDUCTION STARTER COMPATIBLE WITH 92-04 AM GENERAL HUMMER HUMVEE 5.7 6.2 6.5 DIESEL 5744719

Here is the good, the bad and the ugly of the gear reduction I installed... https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/argh-flexplate-advice-please.213973/post-2506592

I ended up not using any shims.

I did have my original rebuilt for $300 at a local shop. Looks like new. Keeping it as a spare. The shop had a brand new OEM one for $800,

I replaced my flexplate as a few teeth were eaten.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it were me I might buy that, but only if a starter rebuild shop told me that repairing mine would be more. If you really don't want to take it to a repair shop, then that's definitely a decent option.

1 year limited warranty is a little piece of mind; definitely better than a cheap chinesium import.

springer1981

I'm a fan of OEM rebuilt locally but I'd also by a OEM take off before any rebuilt at a auto parts store. I don't trust them anymore from years of experience.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wilson is a good quality reman specializing in HD.
Napa also sells Wilson.

Problem is that oreilly unit pictured is not oe hmmwv.
Looks like another application maybe cucv?

spankybear

Wilson is a good quality reman specializing in HD.
Napa also sells Wilson.

Problem is that oreilly unit pictured is not oe hmmwv.
Looks like another application maybe cucv?
It's not OE... that one is a gear reduction "high torque" starter.... and it can also be installed in a CUCV.... It's an option you can install... I like these as they are much lighter than OE.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Do you plan on fording streams or rivers? What about mud holes?

That will determine how you want to repair starter/solenoid.

There are reasons why the starter is built the way it has been designed. And it may have been to the low bidder but it was still made for the U.S. Military to be used under extreme conditions.

The saying of "buy once cry once" applies here. The last thing I want no matter where I am is to have to make a call to be retrieved. Repair accordingly (y)

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not OE... that one is a gear reduction "high torque" starter.... and it can also be installed in a CUCV.... It's an option you can install... I like these as they are much lighter than OE.
Just curious if you have been able to install that unit in a hmmwv as I see the Solenoid is offset and the clearance is super tight.

spankybear

Just curious if you have been able to install that unit in a hmmwv as I see the Solenoid is offset and the clearance is super tight.
I have not installed one in a HMMWV. The gear started is much smaller than the OE HMMWV starter and the solenoid is about half the size. I believe that the layout/clocking of the starters are the same but could be wrong.

I have a gear starter here for a GM diesel that I had when I had a buch of CUCVs... If anyone is in Washington and want to compare let me know. It is used and I do not know if it works... but we could do a side by side and could post pictures. I am too lazy to take the starter out of my HMMWV and see if it fits...

The only other thing I would need to check it the front bracket... This is needed with these starters. Number 9

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks