• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This fell out of my transmission...

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scared off by the SS USUAL SUSPECTS , SHOCKING ! That whole deal sounded kinda out there , bob k

Cletus09

I apologize for my laziness. I'm in school full time and have two jobs :)

Thank you everyone for your time. I'm sorry I was not a better steward. I will put more of my own effort in to my next post. After all, I realize that if everyone acted as I did with my question, this site would be worthless. Again thank you for you work and time.

Yes is was tranny fluid, sorry for not being more precise in my communication.

BINGO! Number five it is! Cliffyp's exploded view there does not show any snap ring or other retainment device. Is there any reason I can't just pound this back in? Or should I go find a new one because this one obviously didn't stay in? The transmission fluid level was normal and there was not much on the ground.

Yes, Porksplace, I know where some of my local transmission shops are. I work in a garage myself (laborer :) and live across the street from another. However, I trust the advice I get here, and the people I am in contact with here have more knowledge about any of these vehicles than I can find anywhere else. Otherwise this site would be useless. ...And it's not. I now understand that this may not have been the wisest place to take such a simple question without providing adequate information.

Thank you for also seeing the humor in my mistakes. Y'all made me chuckle a bit as I read this.

...And for the Mod who ever so kindly adjusted my rep: I am sorry, I see my mistake. However, I do believe that the rules of this site do ask that we use correct punctuation, spelling, and grammar. Please keep this in mind. (;

goldneagle

I like your attitude! You took things well and seem to understand what we look for in a request for advise and info. When you get a chance, can you post some pictures? They really are helpful in getting you the proper info/advise.

jdknech

I like your attitude! You took things well and seem to understand what we look for in a request for advise and info. When you get a chance, can you post some pictures? They really are helpful in getting you the proper info/advise.
what he said! you didnt get butt-hurt over your first :burn:flamin.. your gonna fit in just fine :mrgreen:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It probably would be a good idea to use a new plug.

You can use a small amount of sealant(rtv) on your old one and try installing it to see what the fit is like. if it is snug, then it may stay in.

Sorry, this is not very decisive.

I apologize for my laziness.
Accepted. Thanks for following up.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He did say : I'm sorry I do not currently have time to upload picture or do any of my own research.

I apologize for my laziness. I'm in school full time and have two jobs

And I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I REMEMBER THOSE DAYS. Going to school full time, two full time jobs AND HELPING MY DAD when he calls about a strange part laying under his truck because I'm 'mechanically inclined'...

CLETUS09,

You are a good son to help your dad with his truck. And I don't blame you for NOT crawling up under the truck, which is parked in the snow.

you have your answers and hopefully your Dad can get his truck up and running.

Some of us forget what it's like when we were young, coming up and have no money OR time and yet still help family members when they call - (in our defense, it HAS been a long time ago for SOME OF US - I include myself in that).

Cletus09

Welp, I finally got outside to crawl under the truck. It appears that I have a bigger problem than something that fell out of the transmission. Anybody seen anything like this before? Any ideas on what could have caused it? We haven't been doing anything heavy-duty with it recently, and that looks pretty recent. The only thing I can think of is that is didn't want to go into gear right once. It was in "Drive" but it didn't move for a second... I thought it was strange, but quickly forgot about it.

Please excuse my baby hands... School does that to you.. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Cletus09

Now that I think about it, I remember seeing a little dimple on the drive shaft, but I didn't think much of it. I suppose its time to learn how to swap a tranny. Thanks for the help! This site is about to become my step-by-step instruction booklet. :)

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW , that is SOME CRACK ! Not to bad a job if all you do is R&R the unit , problem is you need a core for a trade . 700R4 is probably the way to go at this point . Would be A LOT easier if you had access to a LIFT , on the ground on jack stands is a PITA . I have done it both ways , as we say " some disassembly

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the new fangdangled Air Cooler installed by GL on your transmission :)

bummer

Cletus09

So, we are now saying it is part #10 from the diagram? :-D
Right. :D

Now that it is obvious that this vehicle has been molested by a forklift, is there any other common damage I should look for? I assume it would be wise to avoid reusing the drive shaft in the swap?

MarcusOReallyus

That drive shaft should be checked, and probably repaired, by a drive shaft shop. I just learned the hard way (on a civvy Chevy) that even a dent in a drive shaft can destroy a transmission.

The good news is that shouldn't cost an arm and three legs. I was quoted $125 to fix mine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks