• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This is an M20, isnt it?

mooresM35A2

I found this, am i correct in thinking that its an M20? I couldnt find anybody to give me any info on it, but it looks better from the road than it looks close up. Its missing a few things, most notably the engine. Also missing drive shafts, gauges, seats. the floor is also partially rusted out.I also have some questions: How much work would it take to restore it, what kind of engine did these armored cars have in them, and how common are parts?
Thanks,
Curtis

Attachments

FrankUSMC

Yes, it is a M20. The parts can be on the hard side to find. I fixed one up back in 1993, very fun vehicles to drive.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

vtdeucedriver

I think if you know where to look, the parts are out there. That is DEFINATLY worth saving!!!! Its steel looks unmolested!!!!! That is 1/2 the battle.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Extremely sought after armor. Parts are not hard to find, even the missing Hercules JXD gas engine (Yes the same mfgr as "deuce"). Put that on ebay as is and it would bring $25K in my opinion. Owner probably has the missing parts inside, looks like a "lost interest" project.

EZFEED

Excellent opportunity here to repower it with a modern DIESEL powerplant.

Do a resto-rod. Restore it internally and externally to original specs but drop in a modern powerplant and driveline. You'll get more horsepower and better economy/reliability and be able to run WVO so fuel will be cheap.

vtdeucedriver

Excellent opportunity here to repower it with a modern DIESEL powerplant.

Do a resto-rod. Restore it internally and externally to original specs but drop in a modern powerplant and driveline. You'll get more horsepower and better economy/reliability and be able to run WVO so fuel will be cheap.

And de-value a WW2 piece of armor....................no thanks. Nothing wrong with the stock engine, it will do 60 just fine!

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brent Mullins in Texas will have everything you need to restore. It will cost a boat load of money and then some more. Other than Mullins as a parts source it will be very difficult to find the M20 specific parts. There were only about 3000 built along with about 8000 of the M8. I can help you with it as I have many M8/M20 contacts.

Chuck

tractor

Extremely sought after armor. Parts are not hard to find, even the missing Hercules JXD gas engine (Yes the same mfgr as "deuce"). Put that on ebay as is and it would bring $25K in my opinion. Owner probably has the missing parts inside, looks like a "lost interest" project.
Thats restored 25K. I would say between 5k and 8k depending on parts there. I also have contacts for m8 m20s

davidkroberts

I agree it would be a shame to devalue it with a repower but if your like me and like actually driving this stuff and not constantly working on it and trying to find hard-to-come-by parts that may not even exist i would do a repower. Buy a old dodge truck with a 6BT engine and transmission and go to town. The changes arent permanent and you can keep it 24V without too much trouble. Much better hoursepower/ torque parts availability. You will be able to hear yourself think inside it...ect.

We did a repower at work of a British Saxon with a 6BT and Allison transmission and had to turn it down it made so much power. We used a 4BT and 4 speed manual in a Mamba and had no problems at all. Just had to fabricate some motor mounts. Its an easy job considwering what your doing.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Maddawg, The fenders are easy to find. The last time I was at Sam Werners place he had them stacked floor to celing in one of his sheds. I am guessing he has more fenders than there are M20's left in this country. They parted out hundreds in the 70's and kept the fenders. I noticed there are ALOT of suppliers in the few latest MVM magazines too, so parts ahould be relatively easy to get.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the contrary parts are very difficult to find and pricey for these vehicles.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M-20 Preservation Restoration

It's a lot of commitment starting a thread so I'm avoiding that by bumping a dead thread with a cool title.

This is an M-20 isn't it?

P7131191.jpg

The work going into this M-20 was too nice not to ask the owner if I can share some photos on Steel Soldiers. I'll dig up the pre/post blast and paint photos of the hull then add pictures of the progress when I can.

The engine compartment was painted white as it was on assembly some 70 years ago.

P7131172.jpgP7131174.jpg

This pile of wire and tubing will soon go into a glass bead blaster.....

P7131179.jpg

.....and most of the time it comes out looking like the fittings in these photos......with the addition of a clear coat of paint for added protection.

P7131173.jpgP7131176.jpgP7131193.jpg

The guess was 90 to 100 hours put into the engine re-build and assembly.....so far.

P7131171.jpgP7131170.jpgP7131169.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks