• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This looks bad

Lothar

So, I have had this truck for a few months, and only recently been able to put some time into driving and improving it. Today I decided to spool out the winch, clean and treat the cable. I could not get the winch to wind at all in any direction. I have spent time searching around to make sure that what I was doing was correct, and it was. Closer inspection revealed a disturbing site. When I first got the truck, I attempted to operate the winch, but I was at work and had little time. At that time, I was able to get it to revolve five or 6 times and just figured it worked. The operation was not smooth at all, it was kind of clunky. After that I have paid no attention to the winch till now. I also noticed that the gauge on the filter is well into the red. I bought this truck and paid well for the winch upgrade. The place is what I considered a reputable dealer. My question is, am I correct in assuming that it should be repaired or replaced at his expense? Or do I bite the bullet. This is one of several disappointments I have with the condition of the truck, but it is the last one I can take. So, I gave up on the winch. Disconnected the cable and coiled it up. My neighbor came over with his A2 and I patched up the hole in his exhaust. Then took a short drive and felt much better.

Attachments

Last edited:

hoop

Did you inspect the truck before you bought it?
If you did...you knew these problems existed. If you did not, you excepted the truck as is.

Lothar

I don't want to reveal the seller, as I am awaiting his reply to the email I sent him. But I can absolutely say it was represented to me as a fully functional truck that had been gone through and anything that needed fixing or replacing was done. I also paid extra to have all fluids and filters changed. Obviously there is no fluid in the side with the crack. And the filter is most likely the original

Last edited:

joshs1ofakindxj

I was just going to ask if there was fluid in it. Open the drain plug to verify the crack isn't in an area where there isn't lube.

You can also see a decent amount with a small dentist mirror and a pen light through the fill plug on top.

What filter are you referring to?

Lothar

The filter for the hydraulic fluid has a gauge that shows it is well past time it should be changed. It along with the inside of the hole are coated with the new paint job that the truck received. I will do as you suggest in the morning. Thank you for your input.

Last edited:

joshs1ofakindxj

You said a filter indicator was into the red, I figured you were referring to the air filter condition indicator below the steering wheel in the cab.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know who sold you the truck but if they said they are selling you a fully functioning rig, then I'd go with that until you learn otherwise.

So, how's the rest of your new rig?

Rick

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Time out. The cracked housing the the winch worm brake housing and there is no oil in there. It looks like the brake band was overtightend and tore loose and has stuck the worm shaft. This is a simple repair, just need to pull the bumper. Checking the tightness of this brake band is not something that anyone would do before delivering a truck to someone.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You are talking about a A3 right, just so everybody knows what your talking about, the big thing is that you DID NOT do a total delivery inspection as soon as it hit the ground, if you needed help in this I am sure that could have been found, now months down the road is a tough call because the dealer can say "looks like it was good when it hit the ground so YOU must have done something", unfortunately "did not have time" ???? can bite you now

Looks like the worm gear pulled forward, the busted part is the brake band housing, this event can happen IF the drum lock is left engaged while trying to operate the winch

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dunno, that damage looks to be from those cover plates getting hooked on something external.

I see the outward dimple from the shaft end, but still the lower lip of the plate is pooched out like it got snagged on something.

Rick

Last edited:

Lothar

There are several problems that I have with the condition of the truck. Shredded boot, leaking axles, no prep before painting, loud popping steering box, bent hardtop, bent hood mounting areas with cracking putty cover-up, weak and incomplete (and improper IMO)bed mounting...all of these things I was just going to accept, but the winch is the last straw. I paid top dollar for this truck, and did it willingly, but I expected it to be as represented. It was claimed that no expenses are spared when building these trucks. On the good side, the four link air ride and bob job was done well.

Lothar

You are talking about a A3 right, just so everybody knows what your talking about, the big thing is that you DID NOT do a total delivery inspection as soon as it hit the ground, if you needed help in this I am sure that could have been found, now months down the road is a tough call because the dealer can say "looks like it was good when it hit the ground so YOU must have done something", unfortunately "did not have time" ???? can bite you now

Looks like the worm gear pulled forward, the busted part is the brake band housing, this event can happen IF the drum lock is left engaged while trying to operate the winch

It is an A3, and the delivery truck was a third party hired by the seller at my expense. So, I'm not sure that he would have taken it back if I had told him.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
not taken it back but do a delivered inspection BEFORE use, then talk to the seller at that time, not now

Lothar

You cleaned all that vomit up pretty quick! Must of had some of that stinky old sawdust stuff handy. And the winch problem was discussed with the seller the day after delivery, but I had not noticed the damage until today.

Last edited:

Lothar

I hope to get started tearing it down tomorrow. But bringing the daughter to Legoland is also on the schedule. At the very least I hope to come home with a cool lego MV. For the kid of course.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks