• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"This old Deuce"

joshuaz223

this is a post to show my progress on my deuce, today i installed my first upgrade. but first a little history.

i purchased my 1969 Keiser Deuce WO/W from GL at Ft Drum. i purchased it unseen but i have talked to the GL guy up there many times and he said he thought it was a decent truck. after the euc cleared i picked it up with a landoll trailer because i knew it had no brakes and it was 26 below zero and i didn't feel like playing with it.

after getting it home i found a few things that needed attention but nothing major. the transfer case air switch is missing, it has been ran into something tall, like another deuces butt. damaging the hood the hinges and the brush guard. the batteries were frozen and fragmented inside. also the seat cushions were junk and all the cab gaskets are very hard.

so first i check all the fluids and put in new batteries. it was 4 deg at this point but after a little coaxing it fired up without ether. during this i noticed the manifold heater did no good. so the next day i pulled apart the manifold and started checking components. good spark, pump runs, fuel to injector, no spray out nozzle. after a little hp air back thru the nozzle i had good atomization and decided to do Bjorn's flame thrower test. don't worry folks i worked on 13 story boilers for years. good flame. next i coupled the air line for the t case until i can get a switch. the brush guard is bent back so far the hood latch goes in front of it and you can't close the side panels. so out came the torch and a bar and the brush guard was back to normal after about 10 min.

now to my first mod. my wife got me this for Christmas while i waited for my euc. gotta love her. they are rifle mounts for the cab. very easy to install but requires a helper.

my next plans are to replace all the fluids and filters. then install a remote master cylinder and go thru the brakes. after that i will put it on the road and start testing. i have a lift scissors for the bed i hope to install but have to figure out a hydraulic system for it. will likely go with a t-case PTO and pump. also the wife tells me the seats need attention. should keep me busy for a while.

i have a pretty complete assortment of tools and a lot of mechanical knowledge so if anyone in the area needs a hand or a tool just contact me and if i can i will help. i also have welding and machining equipment and the ability to use it.

i hope this hasn't bored anyone but I'm just so happy to finally have my deuce that i think about it all the time. i have wanted one of these for a long time and find it hard to believe i finally have one.

thanks for reading

Roy

Attachments

oddshot

I purchased my 1969 Keiser Deuce WO/W from GL at Ft Drum.

... I picked it up with a landoll trailer because i knew it had no brakes and it was 26 below zero and i didn't feel like playing with it.
26 degrees below ... at Fort Drum.

Well, at least it keeps the mosquitoes offen you.

I don't think the black bombers up there fly much below 10 degrees ... although maybe some of the bigger ones still come out.

Fort Drum is one of the garden spots of the world.

A regular winter wonderland. :roll:

oddshot

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
my next plans are to replace all the fluids and filters. then install a remote master cylinder and go thru the brakes. after that i will put it on the road and start testing.
details please :?: ...... Or do you mean a remote reservoir and keep the MC in place?

Tks
G.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the backgound story. Glad you planned to have it towed and budgeted accordingly.

Are those Air-Soft or the real thing?

Most of these old gals still have plenty of life left in them. They just need some loving attention and $$$ spent on them.

Flyingvan911

You remove the flame heater parts from the intake manifold and it should turn into a giant cigarette lighter if it works properly. I got mine working pretty well then it started putting fuel in the motor oil so i disconnected it.

26 below is frigid. I'm glad the truck is in good shape. Have fun!

mcmullag

Model Recovery?

Congrats on your truck. I am working on my 2nd go around with getting a deuce from its sevice life retirement, to parade quality. I think about mine all the time too. What a great hobby. The way you went about your recovery and then working on getting it roadworthy instead of just driving it, is commendable.
Keep us posted.

joshuaz223

progress report

I know i will get chit for so few pics but it's dogheads fault he kept me busy with a tour of his compound today. at least thats my excuse. i have started my bob and have the rears out and got springs from John Apple at least i think thats his name. got my oil filter adapters done and installed. rebuilt all but one wheel cylinder and rebuilt the seats. i went with 1000 denier cordura nylon like someone else who has posted and i really like it. i will also be doing the seats in the m37 with it soon. i used firm foam and carved it with an electric knife. my foam was rotten and reduced to a sand like substance and the canvas was mostly gone. if i can get my drive shaft made this week i may be on the road this weekend. tomorrow i hope to get the rear back in and get the brakes reconnected and bled. maybe take it for a fwd spin.

Attachments

joshuaz223

I have now rebuilt the wheel cylinders the airpak and the mastercylinder. I then built a pressure bleeder and bled the brakes. Ta Da good pedal. installed the rearend and rebuilt hood hinges. It was then time to take it for fuel. so here is my first picture on the road. sorry about the crappy cell pic.

Attachments

dozer1

You do good work. Any chance you could get a few better quality shots? I would like to see a pic of that interior too with those seats done up like you got em.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks