• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This old gasser thing followed me home today??

citizensoldier

I think my M109 may be in heat? This big old red tanker truck stuck to her but all the way from Gaylord to Boyne today... :shock: I tried to shake it off but Russo's tow bar did a wonderful job. Thanks Rizzo if you read this. :D Dave and I did not use it for are adventure with the 5 ton tractors so I figured I better make that late night trip to Port Huron worth it.. :lol:
Anyway I will have some pictures in the morning so dont yell at me to much.. I went to take some and the battery died! It then became dark out real fast.. Well maybe the short nap had something to do with that.. Tired from the trip my little non turbo worked hard and we had to go slow but she did it. Some good size hills on the way home and had traffic backed up for a mile but just kept looking forward.. :twisted:
Anyway, if any of you out there are restoring gassers I will make you a deal on a complete engine. Gonna scrap the tank its junk.. Maybe cut the top off for a maple syrup cooker shroud but we will see if Opie notool will lift it off with his wrecker for me. If not it will be little pieces for the scrap metal yard and some cash in my pocket.
I will charge the batteries tonight and I think it will start right up ? really not in bad shape.. :p

Attachments

citizensoldier

I dont think its a military hard top but could be a very early version?This truck is a 1952 and was probably a fuel tanker origanaly. Would they have put a soft top on a fuel truck? Its in good shape and looks very close to a military one. Some of the aftermarket ones look hoky to me.
Beautiful... Yes maybe? I think I will use up some old house paint in the spring..Dont like red in my yard plus it draws attention from the Township board and I dont want that either. You want any parts off of it? Dont think its going to stay the way it is. A good canidate for a multifuel and a bobbed tail.. Maybe a big block or something?? Will have to think about it..

JDToumanian

Too bad the tank is rotted out... Is it beyond repair? Although it could use paint and some minor details, I like it just the way it is!

Jon

OpieNoTool

[quote="Maybe cut the top off for a maple syrup cooker shroud but we will see if Opie notool will lift it off with his wrecker for me. If not it will be little pieces for the scrap metal yard and some cash in my pocket.
I will charge the batteries tonight and I think it will start right up ? really not in bad shape.. :p[/quote]

I resent that :cookoo:
so i forget my tools one time and it sticks for life. aua

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: one more

To my tired eyes, it looks like a military hardtop - there were two versions made specifcially for the "Reo" style truck. Just curious, what does the truck data plate say for maker, model number, and serial number?

Thanks,
David Doyle

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: Ok Doc

Does the data plate say it was a M35, or something else? Most water tankers look just like fuel tankers from behind.

Regards,
David

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: Ok Doc

Duh....disregard my request for model number, I see you included the NSN. However, 23208358468 isn't a good number, are you sure its not 23208358463 - which would be M35 w/o winch?

And if that is the case - is the built date stamped on the plate as weill? It would be handy for my research.

Thanks,
David