• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This old gasser thing followed me home today??

citizensoldier

RE: Re: RE: Ok Doc

Yep its a 3. It was dark and had a bad flashlight. So this was built like that? With that tank on it? Thanks for your time Doc its fun researching these old trucks.. I may just save it and try and fix the tank or get a alluminum or stainless one for it? I sure could use it for hauling sap.. I would probably put a multifuel in it though..

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

Well, I can tell you a couple of things - M-49531 was built as a M35 cargo truck, and not in 1952! More like mid-1959 (shoot, in 1952 Curtiss-Wright wasn't even thinking about building army trucks.)

It would be intersting to know if the number embossed in the frame matches the one on the data plate (maybe the frame and paperwork match, and the data plate was changed) - a lot of the trucks of this era have the dates stamped in the frame.

I think the tank is a civy add-on.

Regards,
David

citizensoldier

Three revelutions,full choke , some fresh gas, and a set of batteries, bang fired right up. Put the drive shafts in and she was moving under her own power. Motor sound real good too. No brakes.. Will have to address that issue. No parking brake either.. Purrrrrsss like a kitten...

JDToumanian

I like the backup alarm bell on the pass. side rear axle. Have you backed it up yet? Does it work? Very cool, and if you're going to remove it keep me in mind! I've been looking for one on eBay for a while, haven't seem any yet.

Regards,
Jon

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Folks that have only been around Multifuel truck are always amazed at how quiet these gassers are - even with the gear noise one can actually have a conversation in the cab!

David

i knew she would run! awsome! does it seem to have any power? i know the brakes may have prevented to much speed but i was just wondering how much it had under the hood. who made the eng and what cube is it? would make a fine sap gathering vehicle. Happy sappen in style!

citizensoldier

Well Dave I didnt get to carried away and put it in low so It would not go to fast. No brakes , and now emergency brake either.. Seemed grunty in low but they all do in low... Filled the mastercylinder and no leaks? I am thinking a leaky hydrovac or something?
I would like to bobb it and put a 450 gallon tank on it.. Some super singles and man look out woods!!
Better fix the brakes though.. Liquid can be a bugger when its a sloshin..