• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This one goes out to the newer guys looking for their first deuce...

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to preface this post by saying that MADDAWG (Mike) does not know I am about to post this and I am not going to profit at all from this post. There are a lot of guys who are looking at GL for their first deuce. Man, there are quite a few for sale from private dealers that have been gone through. There is limited risk buying from a private party that you can trust. I just noticed Mike's really clean 1968 solid 383 green deuce scroll by on the right side of the screen. Man, that thing is clean...and he is only asking $3,800! If I know Mike, he has gone through the truck and probably serviced it. I am sure he has road-tested the truck and knows it runs well. That is a good buy assuming the truck runs as well as it looks! I suggest anyone looking for a deuce take a look at Mike's truck and also the other trucks listed in the classified ads.

Good luck!

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought mine from a private dealer and NEVER regretted it. They had already made sure the fluids and filters were changed, everything was greased, new tires etc. The difference I spent buying from a private individual as opposed to gl was more than made up for as I would have spent at least that much in transportation to the gl site, servicing it myself and having a knowledge base to ask questions of is priceless. Its one thing to search a tm (especially when you don't know what you're looking for) and another to bring it to the guy(s) you bought from and be shown what the issue is, if its normal and how to correct it if it isn't.

Barrman

My experiences dealing with or being around Wart Hog in OKC and FMJ in Las Crueces, NM is the same. A M35 does not have to be bought from GL to get a good one. There is an added value to having the truck already driven by somebody and looked over. Plus, they normally have more than just one to choose from.

Reactions: FMJ

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I forgot about FMJ's deuces. Man, he had (or possibly still has) some really clean shop vans. They were some of the cleanest shop vans I've ever seen!

Reactions: FMJ

Sephirothq

Let me just start by saying that i have nothing against Maddawg308

In a few posts back when i was trying to sell my M35A2 you (Bkubu) said that $3500 is too much to ask for a truck and that everyone should buy from GL. And that was for a truck with a winch, and a cargo cover extra.

So $3800 is way too much to ask according to you then.

"Nice looking truck! No offense intended...but that price is high for a truck WITHOUT A TITLE. Sit back and watch how quickly it moves without a title at that price. You either need to get a title or drop the price. Just trying to be helpful... "

"My point was this...most guys on this list know about GL and most are adventurous enough to give them a whirl when looking for a deuce. Almost all deuces (99.2%) go for less than $3500 and they come with the paperwork to get a title. The thing your truck has going for it is that guys can come to test drive it. However, most guys want the thrill of the auction experience. So, my opinion is that, to get a guy on this list to overcome the desire to bid on "my first Army truck," your truck either needs to have a title or be cheaper. Perhaps, I am wrong...it wouldn't be the first time...but this is my belief. Trust me...it is in all of our best interests for you to get top dollar for your truck. Your price is low on the retail end...but, retail, the truck would come with a title. Personally, if I were a newbie looking for a truck (trust me, the old salts are not paying $3500 for a deuce) I would either bid on a truck and take my chances on a truck that says "runs," or pay more to a guy with a title. Again, good luck...I hope you get what you are asking. "

I usually am not bothered by this type of b******t but if you are going to high jack one sale, don't turn around and praise another.

Sephirothq

most guys on this list know about GL and most are adventurous enough to give them a whirl when looking for a deuce. Almost all deuces (99.2%) go for less than $3500 and they come with the paperwork to get a title. The thing your truck has going for it is that guys can come to test drive it. However, most guys want the thrill of the auction experience. So, my opinion is that, to get a guy on this list to overcome the desire to bid on "my first Army truck,"

There are a lot of guys who are looking at GL for their first deuce. Man, there are quite a few for sale from private dealers that have been gone through. There is limited risk buying from a private party that you can trust.

My point is that you shouldn't speak badly of one way of selling something ie. don't buy private, buy GL for one truck and then for another truck say hey it's better to buy private.

You don't see an issue here?????

Last edited:

cruz

I have to say, that I started with the GL route of buying trucks due to the price difference, with that being said, if I was going to spend 3k+ for a deuce I would not go the GL route, I paid 1570 + tax/GL fees, and after going to pick it up it was around 2k total, and when I decided to get a 5 ton, the cheapest I could find in the private sector was 5500 for a clean truck, and I got my 5 ton via GL for 4k total, and it has a heater, which the other one did not. To me it is worth the hassle, as I have saved enough between the 2 trucks for #3 when it comes around, however if I was looking to buy a truck, and someone had one for sale that needed to be sold I would be more than willing to buy it for a comparable price to the GL sales, but most want to make money on the trucks they have for sale. by the way my deuce had all fresh fluids and a full tank of fuel when I got it, I did preview it, and it was definetly the way to go. on the 5 ton I changed the oil and flushed the radiator/changed all filters, and it was still cheaper. previewing the trucks or having someone else look at it is a must.

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The title is the biggest thing holding down the value on your truck. yeah, there are ways to get a vehicle title...but nothing beats getting a title with a truck. That, in and of itself, will hold down the value on a truck. I am by no means an authority, but I would much rather pay $3,800 for Mike's truck than $3,500 for one with no title. Perhaps, I am off...but this is my opinion.

I really don't see an issue or conflict. One truck has a title...the other does not. Also, I think my post will not "reach" the adventurous majority. It was more intended as a suggestion of something they should consider. Most guys will still go the GL route. No offense intended to you, but I still stand by what I said. A truck without a title is greatly reduced in value...

datsunaholic

I went the GL route for price reasons alone. The truck was in my driveway with under $1200 spent (bid price was under $1100) mainly because I drove the thing home... being within spitting distance of the base helps (under 10 minutes from my door to the gate). I still have less than $2000 in it, including the full registration and replacing the batteries and the stolen light switch.

If I'd been more worried I'd have bought the Deuce my Dad's coworker had. I just didn't want a non-turbo truck, having driven both types when I was in the Naval Reserves.

Sephirothq

it's not that there was not title available for it.

And you would sooner pay 3800 for a truck with out a winch and with out a cover, but it has a title

then 3500 for a truck with a winch and a cargo cover but you have to pay extra if you want a title????

You would have to pay at most 300 for a title? what would you have to pay for a winch and a cargo cover???? 1500?? I am talking the low side of parts here .

So you do the math.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SEPHIROTHQ: I honestly meant no offense. If someone tells me a truck has no title, its value drops in my eyes. I would consider a truck with no title, and have bought them in the past, but the price better be darn cheap or the truck better be rare. Neither of these things applies to your truck. I said in the other post that, for $3500 and no title, you'd be holding onto that truck for a while. I still believe that. Having no title detracts from the value and desirability of your truck...and any other truck with a title becomes more desirable. You have to think about your potential customer. You are not marketing your truck to a guy who has several trucks and knows a lot about them. That guy will definitely go the GL route. You are marketing your truck to guys that may not have a lot of experience (and confidence) bidding on an as-is, where-is truck. As I said originally, you will have done yourself a great service by getting a title and not even offering the truck without one. This is my opinion. You may (and it sounds like you do) disagree with me. That is OK.

Sephirothq

It seems to me the biggest point you don't understand is that fact that a title can be gotten for the truck. While i don't have one in hand right now. If a buyer came along and said that they wanted to buy the truck I could go the SF-97 route and get a title. There is one available. It's not like it can't get one or there is anything wrong with it.

It doesn't help a sale when an outside (unwanted) person voices that since they don't have a title in hand it's not worth anything. If you had an issue with my origional post why didn't you just PM me and keep it out of the post?

Or do you think that I am out to rip someone off and that it is your part to save them?????

Flea

I am driving one of Mike's trucks right now. Great runner, and I got an Air-o-Matic and under 25K miles for less than $3000. Truck runs very strong, had no issues mechanically, and starts every time.

It was nice being able to simply walk in to the Clerk's office and walk out with a tag.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Infighting aside, I think the point of the post is this: If you are new to M/V and are a little intimidated (like I was for sure), it may be worth the extra money to buy from an individual with a known item rather than take the chance on spending less from GL, but not having the knowledge or money to get it home.....

Just my2cents

Michael

The value of a title varies from state to state. In Mississippi I can title anything old for $100 title bond. In some states it is priceless, ie there is no legal way to get a tag without a title from the previous owner and that seems to be most common in the NE.

Now the idea of paying extra for the GL experience ... :roll: