• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This site is like CRACK! So, I bought a 5 ton....

DWagg

:cookoo: have I lost my mind? Nope! this is FUUUN....
I think I got lucky, as my 5 ton starts, runs, drive and stops so good its almost spooky lol. All I knew is I wanted one with 1400x20's and an 855 Cummins. Won it, and drove it 335 miles home from Ft. Riley
flat on the floor at 2200RPM & 70mph. Had one blowout, but kinda figured that, but it was one of my GoodYears UGH! Those bald wavy looking Michelins on the rear axle made the trip just fine :driver:
Its got some rust, hood is dented, the soft top is all but rotten. And It's missing one of the side boards. Which I was informed this is whats called a ISO bed, so it may not be easy to find one? It could always be fabricated if I have to. And The bed cover is also a little different? If you happen to have one cheap let me know. Pics below from the trip home, my daughter took the pics and helped air up a tire somewhere 1/2 way between Ft. Riley and the Okla state line.
Anywho.....I dont know much about it, but I'm pretty sure these are just as addicting as the HMMWV's!!!
First time attempting to attach pics here, hoping they work!

Attachments

Flyingvan911

Welcome! Be sure to search for the threads on the KAMO rally held every October at the D-Day Adventure Park in Wyandotte, OK. Military vehicles are surprisingly useful. Many people will ask for help moving.

dmetalmiki

Glen in Salina probably has iso bed parts

You do know the tires are only rated for 55mph, right?

Oh, and you probably have lockers and a wet kit...
Really? Wow..Now THAT'S a (really tough) Truck. Well done.......(Almost..Kraz 255b like!)

99nouns

I am offended by the title of this thread, are you implying I am on mind altering cyber substance that intoxicates my real life with chemicals that causes harm to my health as known but may not be limited in State of California.....?

Please I demand answer dear Sir....

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We call it "Green Crack"; next will be a trailer, then a generator, maybe a nice tent. Then a deuce........

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting truck, looks like a Marine truck with Army markings on the bumper? Is the serial number USMC######? (Not asking for the actual serial, just the format).

Cheers

PS - I only had one truck, at one point...... :-?

DWagg

Thanks Yall! And YES 99nouns thats EXACTLY what I'm saying! LOL :grd:

@Scar59 I started with a Humvee, got a trailer for it while I was waiting 5 months for the EUC to clear..... 0_o wait, that means i really did get my cart before the horse! LMAO! :p
I've got a buddy that lives in Salina, so...I'm sure I'll hit him up about going to Glenns!!
As for a bed cover, since these ISO beds are different, I'm thinking about just using this 14'X16' olive drab canvas tarp from Amazon....Because I'm a cheapskate :whistle: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=AQRN6I3FA037N
For what I'd doing, just playin around with it, It should work "OK" :shrugs: whatcha think?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As you suspected, at 15', the ISO bed will not take the standard 14' 5-ton fitted tarp (no matter how much you sweat and cuss, I know, I tried).

An MTV/M1083 (modern 5-ton) tarp will fit, but it is around 10-11 inches taller. This means you can raise your bows by that much, or just have it come lower down the sides of the bed (which is what I do with my M813).

Cheers

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure what Crack is like, but the green disease is bad!! I got it when I got my first Deuce. 2200 RPM & 70 MPH WOW!!!

71DeuceAK

I wonder how rare/common the ISO bed really is? I've never seen or heard of such a thing until now.

And that's one happy-looking guy behind the wheel!

And 70MPH...wow! That's quite something!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder how rare/common the ISO bed really is?
The ISO bed is Marine Corps specific, they replaced the stock beds on M813s with them during rework, and also put them on the M939 series.
The M813/939 ones are 15' long and are not the same as the MTVR beds, which are shorter since the spare is not mounted inside. (Yes, I measured both beds side-by-side ;-)).
So, once again, an MTVR fitted tarp won't work. The local Marine unit were kind enough to let me try one on my 813, no workee.

Cheers

Aruba1

Wahahahaha, I like the thread subject. I reckon you have to have more than one to be addicted, so far I am doing good. Although I almost got a military wheeled excavator JD 690D this morning. That would have caused a divorce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks