• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Those of you with an 831a

rogpike

What do you do with it? What is its purpose for you? Do you find it useful? I have a Honda EU 3000. Considering selling and purchasing the 831a. I guess my interest in the 831a is a little more useable electrical power and diesel fuel. I HATE worrying about clogged or gummed up carb... I realize that if I exercised and ran the unit like I was supposed to it would probably not be an issue and you should do that whether it be a diesel or gas burner....so I guess the decision comes down to power. What is the max resistive load you have put on an 831a? Can you start a 2.5 ton HVAC with it? Can you run a 4.5KW resistive load with it? Any feedback would be useful. I have been bitten by the MEP bug and looking for another unit. I currently have an 803a and am considering a 802a, and 831a.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I doubt it will start an AC unit that size. The max you should run on it is about 3.2kw. These do not have nearly as much overload headroom as the other 80x machines.

Edit - I use mine when minimal power is needed. It works great to keep the lights and the fridge on. It will run my well pump. It won't run my HVAC (3T HP).

Last edited:

robson1015

IMGP3045.jpgIMGP3053.jpgIMGP3102.jpgIMGP3068.jpgIMGP2970.jpgIMGP2969.jpg

I can use mine to hook into my meter base and power the lights, fridge, freezer, well pump, but I like to use it around the property for power out in the fields and woods. I built a deer blind with it and it's great for running power tools. I found the cute little trailer on Craig's list and added the fuel cans...

rogpike

Slick! I like it. I don't have power at my farm but I do have a pole barn. I left a champion 2000 watt inverter genset running earlier this afternoon with a couple trickle chargers attached to charge the Polaris and Big Kubota tractor battery. Can you pull that trailer down the road? Nice setup there for sure.

rogpike

I doubt it will start an AC unit that size. The max you should run on it is about 3.2kw. These do not have nearly as much overload headroom as the other 80x machines.

Edit - I use mine when minimal power is needed. It works great to keep the lights and the fridge on. It will run my well pump. It won't run my HVAC (3T HP).
Thanks, that is good to know. At 3.2kw I will probably just keep the Honda. I was wondering if they were underrated as the 802 and 803.

robson1015

Slick! I like it. I don't have power at my farm but I do have a pole barn. I left a champion 2000 watt inverter genset running earlier this afternoon with a couple trickle chargers attached to charge the Polaris and Big Kubota tractor battery. Can you pull that trailer down the road? Nice setup there for sure.
Thanks. Can pull it down the country roads no problem but not paved roads...slow speed tires.

NATCAD

I like the flag ! The trailer is great, what is the belaying pin for... you doing some yard-sailing down there? Or maybe raccoon hunting!

Rogpike - I think you would be buying it just because..... ? Your honda is light and low maintenance.

You could buy it as a back up - the pros are: diesel powered, enclosed / mil-std 2169 protected, suited for steady /constant load and long running hours.. auxiliary fuel pump.. I'm sure there are others.

Main reason is that you don't have one already :)

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have both a EU1000 and a EU3000 generators. I bought the 831 specifically because it does 240v. I wanted a generator that could run my well pump with minimal fuel burn. It has greatly exceeded my expectations.

However I've not lost any love for the Hondas. They have both served me very well for many many years. The EU1000 has way north of 2k hours and still starts within a couple of pulls (no alcohol gas is used in either). It smokes a little and I have to add a few tablespoons of oil here and there but it will do its job without complaint.

dav5

I have a Honda EU2000 and it is a great little generator but I got a MEP831 for the exact same reason Chris did. It wouldn't run either my pump or water heater[with load management] at my camp. Just remember to add over $300 to the price because there is a really good chance you will have to replace the controller even if the owner says it runs well.

robson1015

I like the flag ! The trailer is great, what is the belaying pin for... you doing some yard-sailing down there? Or maybe raccoon hunting!

Rogpike - I think you would be buying it just because..... ? Your honda is light and low maintenance.

You could buy it as a back up - the pros are: diesel powered, enclosed / mil-std 2169 protected, suited for steady /constant load and long running hours.. auxiliary fuel pump.. I'm sure there are others.

Main reason is that you don't have one already :)
It's for Wolverines !!!! lol - In case one of my outlaw neighbors needs a good beating....