• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Those with A3 rims that don't leak... Clamp ring tightness

HDN

I think I found the leak. Bubbles are coming from one of the fittings I used to install the Schrader valve. I'm going to tighten it up and see if that stops it.

I soaped this several times and now it's making bubbles! :cookoo:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think I found the leak. Bubbles are coming from one of the fittings I used to install the Schrader valve. I'm going to tighten it up and see if that stops it.

I soaped this several times and now it's making bubbles! :cookoo:
Would really like to know exactly what it was that was leaking.
HAPPY for you that the dang thing isn't leaking anymore!

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think we are using too tight of a bead-lock.

HDN

Would really like to know exactly what it was that was leaking.
HAPPY for you that the dang thing isn't leaking anymore!
I don't think it's leaking anymore because the tire pressure I just read isn't lower than it was 16 hours ago. I'll know for sure when I air it back up to 50 psi.

This is my current setup:
20210902_125355.jpg

I'm using the existing air pipe and elbow, and installed a 3/8" x 1/4" bushing with a 1/4" x 1/8" bushing installed in that, with the original 1/8" Schrader threaded into that. Everything has Permatex thread sealer applied. Despite that, the leak was at the 1/4" male threads. Fortunately just turning that fitting a quarter-turn seemed to solve that - we'll see!

I did it this way because my closest hardware stores don't have 3/8" x 1/8" bushings in stock. So I created an additional leak point because that's what was available at the time :( I found that Lowe's actually has them in stock a half-hour away, so I'll be making a trip out for them soon. Moving forward I'll be cutting out a leak point with the new bushings.

HDN

I think we are using too tight of a bead-lock.
I'd really like to know the engineering thoughts of this rim design. The 5-ton bolt-together wheels don't seem as daunting to work on, yet they are for a truck with half the cargo weight capacity? Whomever approved this design for the A3 was on the crazy train IMO.

sue

We got rid of the Cits? System, installed the
53” tires, cut down the headlock so they were
1 1/4”?
and used sealer on the o rings and valve stem mount
No leaks in 4 years.

sue

We got rid of the Cits? System, installed the
53” tires, cut down the headlock so they were
1 1/4”?
and used sealer on the o rings and valve stem mount
No leaks in 4 years.
Sorry didn’t make it clear, 1 1/4” narrower?

Reactions: HDN

HDN

So far, all of my leaks have been related to brass fittings either failing or not being tight enough. My o-rings and grommets aren't leaking as installed per the TM :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks