• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thoughts of future power plant 1009

Socal44

I’m looking at delving into a trashed and sidelined CUCV. The motor is toast and has rats nested on the motor . What’s a common swap or replacement if you want to consider something other than the OE 6.2L? I’ve wrenched in the past on another platform maybe at the intermediate level, prob gonna be in way over my head but what the hell, I’m up for the challenge .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87cr250r

The 6.5 engines are still available and are a direct bolt in.

Any Chevy V8 will nearly bolt in. See if you can find one with an accessory rack that supports dual alternators.

Socal44

Ah yes , that’s an operative question I should have included. As a general solution I’d prob pick a middle of the road build, not high end but not the cheapest way to get it running . Is it sacrilege to go gas?

Socal44

I’m leaning towards an LQ9 or LQ4 , I know it’s cliche now but for a noob like me that seems like the most straightforward swap with lots of material to reference for trouble shooting

87cr250r

If you go the gas route you're going to have to do a lot of rewiring in order to convert the truck to 12V, unless you can find the dual alternator brackets. Check ambulances.

nyoffroad

If you go the gas route you're going to have to do a lot of rewiring in order to convert the truck to 12V, unless you can find the dual alternator brackets. Check ambulances.
I've never changed one over but I don't see it being hard, One alternator and two batteries hooked in series and a few other things. Use the pink wire to the IP and move it to the distributor. Other that changing the starter I think even those wires can stay. Do away with the GP wires and I think you're pretty much done.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I’m leaning towards an LQ9 or LQ4 , I know it’s cliche now but for a noob like me that seems like the most straightforward swap with lots of material to reference for trouble shooting

I am not up to all the legalities in CA. But would you have any concerns with emissions or any rules based on the vehicle changing fuels in CA? (I'm not trying to start anything, I just know CA is a lot more strict on these laws)

87cr250r

You can't charge the batteries in series because the 12 volt loads will kill the front battery. You can run a 24v to 12v converter to run your 12 volt loads if you want to run a single 24v alternator.

Emissions in CA are not a problem. There is no enforcement action on diesel trucks prior to 1997.

ehuppert

Over the years I've had two diesel Chevys I repowered to 1st gen SBC's. Had the c30 dually for over 20 years. The M1008 I've probably had for 15 years. They weren't/aren't daily drivers, but got pretty regular use. I personally never cared about 24 volt systems or having dual alternators. These were work trucks for homeowner use! (firewood, plowing, material pu, etc)

As for wiring, not a show stopper. Pink Fuel solenoid wire becomes the Distributor power wire (at least for HEI/carb set-up) My C30 was a civvy version (obviously) so had less wiring concerns. My 1008 was a frame off restoration, so removed/modified wiring as needed for my use. Not hacked, but stripped down, cleaned up and re-loomed as needed. Bus bar now 12 volts, so makes a nice un-switched power distribution point!

Carb'd motor will be the easiest, but of course fuel injected provides better drivability.... Later generations SB's do provide more power potential, motor in my 08 is probably around 300 hp, so plenty for a work truck. (Mild cam, headers, carb/alum intake)

Both vehicles I retained the larger diesel radiator. Used appropriate sized exhaust adapters to join radiator hoses. Used the diesel trans convertor which was a non-issue!

Bottom line: It's not difficult and in my opinion is a upgrade. And, a carbed motor has very little troubleshooting required.... Fuel, spark, compression....

Once again, I drove these cucvs when they were new, allot! Hence, I have no love or allegiance for the 6.2!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks