• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thoughts on a 51 M38 price wise??

Silvrzuki77

Hey everyone, I am really tempted about picking up this MB M38 This would be my first willys. I talked to the owner about it the other day. He has owned it since the 70’s, has a title, and a lot of parts not shown. Typical ran and drove when he parked it years ago. He did say that it is not the original motor but has a M38a1 motor installed. He ended up finding a carb off some random car that clears the hood. Very little rust was from Cali and now lives in AZ. Asking $5900

Any thoughts?

Appreciate the input!

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

AZDeuce

There's no such thing as a 51 MB, maybe it was registered that year, but MB production ended in 1945. What you are looking at is a early 50s M38 Jeep the model that replaced the MB, and GPW. It's a good Jeep as it has a stronger T90 transmission than the MBs weaker T-84. It's been on the AZ craigslist for several months now at $8500, which I thought was pretty high for the shape it was in, But $5900 is a little better, but I wouldn't pay much more than $5000 for it, but it depends on what spares he has. If you want a off-road jeep or a parade Jeep it wold be fine, but if you want to restore it you'll need to find a rebuildable Willys M-series flat head for it. But that is definitely a Korean War era Jeep, not a WWII version. Hope this helps.

Silvrzuki77

No my bad on the MB, I was looking at too much stuff while posting lol.

Not going to be a full rebuild or anything just a project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Major Asstyrd

Price has everything to do with how solid the frame and sheet metal is. Rust-through or not? Tweaked frame? Welded fixes? Also your own skills. If you will do all the work, great, but if not then you should buy it on the low side. The incorrect motor usually hurts resale but if this one has more power or revs higher than a flathead, you might like using it more than a stock one. If this has the original T90 it is not hard to find an overdrive for it if you want to cruise on the fast side.

dozenjeeps

I bought a m-38 with a bad engine, the body and frame are in excellent shape.........I used to restore jeeps and just never had one of these, and thought I wouldl get it restored but thinking of just selling as it is.........if interested send me a text and I will send some pictures ..........haven't posted on site for awhile and forgot how to do it...........neuby47@hotmail.com

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a m-38 with a bad engine, the body and frame are in excellent shape.........I used to restore jeeps and just never had one of these, and thought I wouldl get it restored but thinking of just selling as it is.........if interested send me a text and I will send some pictures ..........haven't posted on site for awhile and forgot how to do it...........neuby47@hotmail.com
Suggest you pay for an inexpensive membership here which will allow you to post a free classified ad. Ad needs a price, condition, lots of pictures, and what you are willing to do to assist the buyer with shipping.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks