• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thoughts on dino 80w90 vs 75w90 full synth for diffs/TC ?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cost difference is negligible to me.

1. Can I run 75W90 instead of 80W90 in TC and diffs?
2. Will I see any benefit using a synthetic instead of dino?

My experience with passenger vehicle diffs is a LOT different than heavy machinery... The 8.8 in my fords can take 75w90, 80w90, all the way up to 75w140 and doesn't care... but there's a huge difference between a diff that's handling a couple thousand pounds and a diff handling a couple thousand TONS....

I did note the LO says to run 75 straight in colder climates, but didn't know if it'd seriously screw things up running it constantly in warmer (higher than -15F) weather. I think the coldest it got here last year was in the 20s. .heh.

Last edited:

87cr250r

The rule of thumb when using synthetics in gearboxes is that you can drop a viscosity range without sacrificing protection vs a conventional.

The lower friction and whatever are benefits though they're barely noticeable. I like synthetics because seals last longer with synthetics.

87cr250r

It is my understanding that synthetic oils don't have the aromatic hydrocarbon content of conventional. Conventional oils cause buna-n rubbers to swell which eventually leads to them hardening and then leak. If your leaks start after switching to synthetics it's because the damage has already been done. Modern engines don't use much buna-n rubber, anyways. It's mostly HNBR, Viton, silicone, and PTFE nowadays. Manual transmissions and differentials may still use buna-n due to lower operating temps.

ericp351

My 2 cents- The viscosity of the synthetic oil would be A OK, as stated above. YOUR Business, buy why?? The axles, especially should be severely underloaded, relative to capacity and lubrication, for the mass majority of civilian users. If you must overload- you may be better served by 90w-140 in HOT climes. (Any quality GL 5). I worked on a ship where the single reduction gearset was both critical, overloaded, and effectively irreplaceable. Choice was made to go with synthetic oil- dahm the leaks and expense. Your cost so your business. I GUESS your payback time would be beyond my lifespan. Good luck- I'll stick with the Dino Juice and spend the savings on Camo Fuzzy Dice!

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 2 cents- The viscosity of the synthetic oil would be A OK, as stated above. YOUR Business, buy why?? The axles, especially should be severely underloaded, relative to capacity and lubrication, for the mass majority of civilian users. If you must overload- you may be better served by 90w-140 in HOT climes. (Any quality GL 5). I worked on a ship where the single reduction gearset was both critical, overloaded, and effectively irreplaceable. Choice was made to go with synthetic oil- dahm the leaks and expense. Your cost so your business. I GUESS your payback time would be beyond my lifespan. Good luck- I'll stick with the Dino Juice and spend the savings on Camo Fuzzy Dice!
The difference in this case would be $25 per 5 gallon pail... Which, is why I said cost wasn't a factor. That's negligible.

:)

ericp351

Great! Sounds like you have a great source of SYN Gear Oil, or a poor source of the Dino stuff! The Synthetic may give you more piece of mind , and a bit less "warn up time" , if heavily loading in sub-zero weather.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If cost isn't an issue, or if I planned to put a lot of miles on my truck, then synthetic would be my choice. However, personally, I always use non-synthetic. I drive all of my trucks a sum total of a few thousand miles a year...so not much per truck. I almost always have to change my oil due to time, not mileage. Things might be different if I sent samples out to be tested, but I don't. My $.02.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This would be a daily driver.

@BKubu - unrelated - I used to live in Montgomery Village, not much place to park heavy equipment there... ;)
I live in Gaithersburg, but I actually live closer to Damascus. The G'burg zip code stretches a long way from the town of Gaithersburg where you lived. I am in a much more rural area.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks