• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thoughts on M818 for new work idea

treessw

OK, so I hope that I am no reiterating something from the past that I may have failed to find when I was looking for this info. I will apologize now in advance for any toes I may be stepping on.

I am looking for some feed back to my ideas/thoughts from you guys who may have more insight to this than I do. I hope this is not to long winded, here we go......

I run a tree company here in Nashville Tn. We specialize in all aspects of tree work. This is our primary source of income. Due to the economy being the way it is we have started to secure other aspects of our business which definitely put us into more of a specialized category. We have been reclaiming old barns, salvage timber, urban lumber things of that sort. We are a small company which does rely heavily on equipment but the equipment must also serve multiple functions. So here comes my real question... We are considering a M818 for- Lumber/log transport sometimes up to 5 hours away, equipment hauling, local transport, custom home building materials delivery etc. Before we start really bashing let me also state that we are most often in less than favorable/remote locations IE-off road. I will also say this... I am infected and eat up with MV fever so, yes may be looking for one more reason to get something new. I also look this direction from the financial standpoint of it can be somewhat of a minimal investment compared to what new tractors etc can cost. This is a new/er phase of our business so I would like to stay small, test it out and see how it goes.

Would like to:

Single it out

Winch- front and mid-ship <-- may require some brain tickling but should not be overly difficult IMO.

And any thoughts from you guys. I know driver comfort is a must for some, but realistically we can add as we go.

SO with that being said, I would like any thoughts from you guys who may use these on a more regular basis and thoughts into this as a starting/strengthening point for what we do.

Thank you in advance!!!! Sorry for the long post, was trying to get everything on the table so it could be taken into consideration.

srodocker

i think you should go for a m916. they are faster for the 5hr trip. 6x8 i think and able to haul a lot more. but they are a little more expensive and i dont think any come with front winches

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I would skip the M818 and go to an M916......more HP, better drivebility...already has a big winch on back. Prices are not much higher than a M818 as far as I can tell.

You are already going to have to have a Commercial Driviers License, commercial plates, Medial Card and Commercial insurance for the M818 so you might as well go with the big boy.

5 Tons are dogs on the road and slow and rough riding.

You will have to put a smaller 5th wheel on the back.

treessw

Sounds like a good idea. Need a driver?
I will let you Know!!! Never know what could happen!!!!:mrgreen:

i think you should go for a m916. they are faster for the 5hr trip. 6x8 i think and able to haul a lot more. but they are a little more expensive and i dont think any come with front winches
Actually, your not the first person to suggest that!!!! I had looked at them a bit, my concern with it would be weight and the locations for where we go and some on price. I actually love the idea of the m916 but may have to wait for down the line to increase on size and price and mods for it, but love the idea and agree on the speed factor wt capacity etc.[thumbzup]

treessw

I would skip the M818 and go to an M916......more HP, better drivebility...already has a big winch on back. Prices are not much higher than a M818 as far as I can tell.

You are already going to have to have a Commercial Driviers License, commercial plates, Medial Card and Commercial insurance for the M818 so you might as well go with the big boy.

5 Tons are dogs on the road and slow and rough riding.

You will have to put a smaller 5th wheel on the back.
HMMMMM.... you think skip all together? I have always said "Go big or go Home!". I just am thinking from a starting standpoint the 818 would be a good jump off spot? With singling out the wheels and a few other mods, do you think it could be somewhat manageable?

pmramsey

You might find it easier to get a 900 series tractor approved for longer hauls plus the driver work load is a slightly bit lighter. I adore my M818s but my trips are all under an hour in length and I am sure they are far lighter loads than what you are describing for your use.

treessw

You might find it easier to get a 900 series tractor approved for longer hauls plus the driver work load is a slightly bit lighter. I adore my M818s but my trips are all under an hour in length and I am sure they are far lighter loads than what you are describing for your use.
What have you been using yours for? Looks like everyone seems to be leaning toward the 900 series, I may have to reconsider my thought logic huh?

dozer1

At first I was just going to try and answer your question. But after reading these first posts, I gotta agree with the majority. Then you said it all "Go big or go Home!". When it comes to having an MV that makes more business scense esp. in your case, I think they nailed it. Much less limited platform for you to work with.

treessw

At first I was just going to try and answer your question. But after reading these first posts, I gotta agree with the majority. Then you said it all "Go big or go Home!". When it comes to having an MV that makes more business scense esp. in your case, I think they nailed it. Much less limited platform for you to work with.
What would you feel the pros and cons could be on the two of 'em? I would be interested in any thoughts really!!!

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 818 is SLOW. The 818 is also very low on the creature comforts. 5 hours in an 818 is like 15 hours in anything else.

gijoe

m819

Buy a M819 you don't need to add a fith wheel or a winch it has both and a boom also, my M819 will scoot down the road 60 to 62 mph all day long and it drives great also. I still need a M127 series trailer to go with it and i would also like to buy a M936a2, but that will have to wait. I do like the enclosed cab except everybody calls it a crane instead of a wrecker, nsn says it is a truck, tractor with crane i think?

dozer1

I have never driven either truck. Just going by what the others said like posts 3,4,8, 12. If you can sneek a little more creature comforts out of something that means alot too.

treessw

Why not go with the M931 or the M932 w/w?
Actually started looking more at those. Another member here was looking at one, figured I might live vicariously through him first and see. These seem to be somewhat rare though or are they not. Bid on one at GL but lost aua. If you happen to know anyone with one they dont need I'd be interested to take a look. I do seem to think the more this is spit balled around the 900 series may be the way to go...

pmramsey

What have you been using yours for? Looks like everyone seems to be leaning toward the 900 series, I may have to reconsider my thought logic huh?
i am a farmer or perhaps more accurately said, a commercial beekeeper. We have a M447 outfitted with a honey uncapping and extraction operation. We drag it to several of our larger locations. Not a heavy load. We also do other more mundane farm stuff like hauling round hay bales on our M127. The trips are seldom more than 25-30 miles. However, our longest trip is 88 miles on way. We plan our days and trips around 45 mph.

M920

6x6 on the M916.... 8x6 is the M920...

Soni

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks