• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thoughts on the 2A016 engine?

Any 2A016 engine users here?

I just picked up my first one. Came with a 1,500 watt 28 VDC gen set.
I checked it over, poured some gas in and it fired right up and purred!
Seems like a good little engine. Looking for any feedback anyone might
have on them.

Thanks!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Basically it's twice the 1A08 you are familiar with. I had one of the models with the electronic ignition and the sun on the elec box would shut it off. Other than the wrap and hope starter, they are great little engines. If one could retrofit a recoil starter, it would really help.

Wrap and hope starter!

I have one 1A08 engine which took 8-10 pulls to start on average. I swapped the fuel pump to the model with the priming arm and
that made a huge difference. Now I prime it manually first, then tug. It starts on either the first or second pull.

I agree a recoil starter would be really nice.......but I've also had quite a few fail at the wrong time.

thanks for the chuckle and input.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran mine in a MEP-015a for 6 days straight during hurricane Ike, running the entire house except for central AC. Never missed a beat. Mine is a first generation (1964) with points. Did not burn much gas at all. I have great respect for the little engine.

Great info, and that brings up a question.
The MEP-015a is rated by the military at 1,500 watts.......
but what is it actually capable of? 2,000 or maybe 2,200 watts?

I have a friend who used this model in the Army back in the 1980s and
he always takes about how they are barely capable of powering a light bulb.
But they must be a 2,000+ watt unit, which can be a very handy size.

thanks for the input!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not push it past the redline which I believe is 15 amps. 15 amps would run the fridge, washer, TV and plenty of lights at the same time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks