• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thoughts on WAGO connectors

cbisson

I've been checking out WAGO connectors and have been wondering if any of you have an opinion good or bad, or if anyone has used them with a good or bad result. They've been out for quite a while but I've just stuck with wire nuts. There's plenty of stuff in forums and on youtube, both good and bad, but you never know who's posting this stuff or their incentive to do so.

Thanks,

-Craig

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WAGO makes a good connector. They are more convenient to me than wire nuts. Depending on the application though, I am more of a fan of those little heat shrink solder sleeve crimpless butt connectors. All you need is a good heat source (air gun, torch, etc) and you can have a properly soldered, very weather resistant mend in almost no time flat.

fb40dash5

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just rather recently learned about them myself.

My MEP-831's added-on junction box has a couple of them splitting up the neutral to each circuit, which was way easier & more secure than wire nuts. I'm generally a fan of uninsulated crimps, or solder, covered in heatshrink... but trying to join 3x 10ga wires woulda been difficult that way. Taped-over Wago is easy.

They were also very handy grabbing my M1101 when I needed to convert the wiring in a parking lot in a few minutes. Cut, strip, click, done.

87cr250r

Most of us aren't experienced enough to determine which size wire nut should be combined with our combination of wires. Wago eliminates this guess work. They're good.

If you don't like new technology, these are option 2.

Very common in the marine industry. They are limited on how small you can go, 18ga and smaller wire in light fixtures is a no-go. They're perfect for small motors and such, though.

KN6KXR

I've installed a lot of these. The only failure I've ever seen is when the push type (not the lever type) has been used on a solid wire that has some kinks in it (was in a wire nut previously). The contact was poor, it overheated and opened the circuit. Ever since finding that I always make sure I have a nice new stripped straight wire to push in them. They work great and are a major time saver for trim out work. Much more positive repeatable connection that a wire nut and don't mangle the conductors.

In weather applications (like generators) I prefer polaris connectors for #8 and larger; fast on crimp with heat shrink for #10 and smaller. YMMV.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WAGO connectors work great but the same rules apply as to any other good connector, make sure your wire ends are clean and prepped and use doe diligence when fastening them down, they work good!
The other connectors that have the shrink wrap and the solder inside sure do seem to work good and I dont thing you can get a more handy and easy to use connector. I have used around 50 of them so far in the last year and every one gives a great solid weather tight connection, I cannot speak for long term quality but so far they are 100 percent!

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2018 NFPA electrical code for virtually every outlet in a house other than 30A ones. Supposedly because of fatalities from electric blankets...

Yep, they are a weight-loss item, from all the exercise one gets running back & forth to your breaker panel.

Tell her to call someone to take them out & replace them with conventional breakers. They fetch good $ on eBay, btw.

Last edited:

87cr250r

My house has a main story and a mostly finished basement. I'll be using sub panels at each level. No running upstairs and down.

If you need a source for conventional breakers let me know. We haven't gone arc fault or GFCI in the marine industry. Industrial suppliers are available to support other configurations.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks