• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Threatened fail on state inspection no cats

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Same thing happened to my son, Idiot wouldn't pass the M1009 because of Cats, Luckily I was on duty and drove over in my Black and White to enlighten the Inspector on Texas Emission Laws. Slapped the new sticker on and left.
If that didn't work don't you still have the 817 I helped load for you? Run over him.

(Just kidding, sometimes humor escapes members here.)

Skinny

It boggles my mind how inspection stations get away with this. I truly think it is a combination of ignorant and uneducated techs that regurgitate information without actually knowing anything. For starters, light duty (for the idiots in the world that is K30, K3500, F350, 3500 or anything else with the number 3 or lower in the weight class designation) diesel pickups did not have cats just up to the last few years. To my knowledge, the truck either has no cats or a full particulate and sulphur system. I am unaware of any domestic light duty diesel with a traditional oxidation and reduction cat like a conventional gasser. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. That means that unless it is a fairly shiny new rig, it needs nothing more than a very long straight pipe with a muffler somewhere in between. For technicians to think anything otherwise to me is freakin' ridiculous.

I'm sure that when these morons get out of line and have a hard time reading the federal emissions label which clearly indicates what the truck needs to have on it or the phrase "emissions exempt", a quick snapshot of the numbers on the inspection station along with the "I wonder how the local police station and state DOT would feel about you not following the book" would net you a nice new sticker on the windshield.

For a decade I taught auto tech at secondary and post secondary levels. I've spoken to many people in the field and everyone tells me cars fail if the TPMS light is on or the car has no sensors in the rims. No one could actually show me where in the book it said that. They ALL just assume that if the car has a warning light and it is illuminated, the vehicle fails. That great Timmy, but lets inspect the vehicle to state standards and not to how you feel it should be.

Sucks that consumers need to be the ones educating the inspectors...almost makes the system completely useless and just a money maker...

Last edited:

C15TA

Last year I bought a civy C2500 2WD rust free Chev truck in Virginia and imported it to Canada. It had a cube box with a tail gate loader. I am licensed to perform the normal Mechanical Fitness Inspection, which I did, but on an import vehicles you must go to Canadian Tire for an extra inspection. They check for daytime running lights, Canadian emission standards, no significant alterations from stock and no lifts. The flunky doing the inspection said I failed because the truck had a "LIFT". There was no explaining to this moron that lift meant a chassis alteration and not a tail gate lift. He was insistent that I had a lift on the back and I failed. I finally convinced him that he should phone the Ministry of Transportation and clarify this. One hour later I got out of there with my inspection pass and this inspector still shaking his head and insisting that there must be an error someplace.
Barry

rivcrazy2000

Here in Alaska there is no state emission testing but there was in Anchorage until just a year or so ago. When they got rid of it they didn't require you to get tested anymore, but they took the price of the testing and added it onto the cost of renewing your registration. What a racket, they don't care whether your vehicle can pass or not so long as they still get their 60$ or whatever. Total malarkey.

llong66

Hello all! This pot got me to wondering, " Granted I could have shown him the sticker under the hood exempting" On my M1008, the emissions exempt sticker is missing, I have looked through the various places that reproduce stickers and such for MVs but have been unable to find one of these. Does anyone know of a place to get a replacement, and if I do find one, what is the proper location for it?

Thanks much!
Greg

K9Vic

I sure hope you only paid $14.50 for that inspection as it is a diesel and safety inspection only just like a motorcycle. A safety inspection regardless of vehicle is $14.50, so our CUCV trucks in Texas are $14.50. Since a diesel is exempt from emission testing, that means it does NOT need a catalytic converter. Never had one and even my 1998 Suburban 6.5L Diesel never had a catalytic converter or EGR from the factory, L65. It also is safety only inspection.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/inspection/inspectionCriteria.aspx
Diesel powered vehicles and motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing, but are still required to have the annual safety inspection.
I would report that fool to the state DPS complaint page as they do not know what they are doing. Any well trained state inspector/station will know that it is a safety only and $14.50 cost.
File a complaint with DPS here.
https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/contact/default.aspx

Note, if you have no plates FMV, you do not need an inspection at all. My M1031 has no inspection and does not need one and is even quoted under the "exempt vehicle" section at DPS web page.
15.01 Vehicles Exempt from Inspection
c. Former Military Vehicle License

K9Vic

Maybe it was his first diesel vehicle inspection?
(I know you are not in Texas, so this is to visualize Wise Coounty)
In Wise Co filled with diesel trucks for oil rig service repair, it would have to be his first day there to have never seen a diesel truck. Every time I am out in that county I see diesel pickups and oil rig repair trucks. So any inspection station should know how to inspect a diesel truck as Wise Co is very rural filled with ranches, gas and oil wells on all of them.

This is the type of truck you see all over the county the OP is in. I have never seen one that is not a diesel.
53920f55.jpg

the skull

Subscribed! This is way too funny! Imagine sniffing the tailpipe (stack?) on a 5 ton?
Or even a Deuce? Or what about being in a closed room with my M1008 with those guys,
asking dumb questions with our eyes watering from the diesel fumes!
HAHAHAHAHAHA

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OH young WeedWacker. I see you have just 33 posts as of this writing.

Since you're in TEXAS, I must ask..... Have you read this TEXAS FMV LAWS Thread yet??

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?67255-Texas-FMV-Laws-(Former-Military-Vehicles)

If not, you should.

Is your FMV running regular license plates or did you register it as an FMV (Former Military Vehicle)?

As for inspecting for CATS.... I have photographic evidence that our Deuce has sometimes had CATS indeed....

008.jpg

Keith_J

It happened AGAIN, and also in Texas. My youngest son has a M1009 he went to get inspected at the same place as last year, they failed it because of a modified exhaust without catalytic converters.

I'm going to print out the TX regulation plus the pages from the -34P, then pull rank as the Maintenance Warrant Officer of my motor pool :clinto:. Plus have the number for the complaint line. And I will drive up in my M1031 SECM, just to make the point.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not simply ask the inspector to show you the law that says diesels must have cats?

infidel got me

What a joke, so the air is better in the county with emission testing--stay in smog county and launch another rocket through the ozone.

Just another way to make money, and ruin your day. Thanks to whomever did away with it here in fla. Now we have red light cameras-- YEAH

btmurph

It's so funny how different the states are. Here in Kalifornia, pre '98 diesels are smog exempt and there's no such thing as an annual safety inspection. What's nice is my 1970 C10 has been exempt for years but when I DID have to smog it, it didn't have the A.I.R. equipment as grandpa bought it for the family construction company and commercial vehicles didn't need a smog pump then. First time I had it smogged, the guy tried to fail me because no smog pump. I pointed to the NOx exempt sticker in the windshield and "oh, sorry sir!". Pass

The federal exempt sticker SHOULD get you past the idiots at the smog check stations that don't understand DIESELS DON'T HAVE CATS!!! rofl

Keith_J

Well, older diesels don't have catalysts. But telling that to a minimum wage pseudo government employee is like herding cats.

tim292stro

...he went to get inspected at the same place as last year...
The obvious question is "why go back?" :)

Even in CA, the CARB/BAAQMD nuts know that pre-1992 no car or truck was required to have OBD, pre-1994 no light diesel had EGR, pre-2004 no diesel had catalytic converters... I thought Texas put retards and crazy people in the electric chair, how'd this one get out?

rofl

Even with a gas-to-diesel engine change in California, I've had nothing but good experience with CARB getting correct information (they even send copies of the PDF that the inspectors check against). I'd just report that inspection house to the State so they can either revoke the tester's certificate or shut them down, and go to another place. You'd be doing everyone else a favor... 2cents

Last edited:

TsgtB

The Texas FMV Laws are the only reason I own my deuce, no inspections, no plates.... and my cat loves it.
I never realized how much room is under the bed... amazing, cat wonderland.
But anyway, I was a little shocked at first about "not" having to be inspected, and that makes me want to keep
my equipment FMC (fully mission capable).
I think the only thing I cant say is 100% is my air wipers... or putting the heater back under the dash.
Enjoying the hobby at my own pace...
carry on

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks