• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Threatened fail on state inspection no cats

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Floriduh is one of those states that did away with testing. Are there issues with pickup trucks with stacks? Before you ask, no way on God's green earth would I put stacks on a pickup.

Keith_J

Must be talking about light trucks not having catalytic converters pre 2004 because my VW tdi has one. Reading the regulations, it explicitly states fuel cap testing is not required for diesels yet I have seen it done on that car.

tim292stro

Must be talking about light trucks not having catalytic converters pre-2004 because my VW TDI has one. Reading the regulations, it explicitly states fuel cap testing is not required for diesels yet I have seen it done on that car.
No evaporative emissions system with diesels, much higher vapor pressure and flash point for diesel fuel, no charcoal canister either..

Last edited:

jimm1009

Did not read the whole thread but there is an emissions label on radiator support that states that the truck is EPA exempt
as all CUCVs are of this vintage.

Dead chicken for the inspector that is not clued in on this.

Jim

Keith_J

Did not read the whole thread but there is an emissions label on radiator support that states that the truck is EPA exempt
as all CUCVs are of this vintage.

Dead chicken for the inspector that is not clued in on this.

Jim
Only the 1009, the 1 ton models don't need exemption due to GVW.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The obvious question is "why go back?" :)

Even in CA, the CARB/BAAQMD nuts know that pre-1992 no car or truck was required to have OBD, pre-1994 no light diesel had EGR, pre-2004 no diesel had catalytic converters... I thought Texas put retards and crazy people in the electric chair, how'd this one get out?
As tim292stro pointed out, catalytic converters weren't required on light truck diesels until 2004...I had the same go-around with a smog station operator several years ago in Vegas.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It happened AGAIN, and also in Texas. My youngest son has a M1009 he went to get inspected at the same place as last year, they failed it because of a modified exhaust without catalytic converters.

I'm going to print out the TX regulation plus the pages from the -34P, then pull rank as the Maintenance Warrant Officer of my motor pool :clinto:. Plus have the number for the complaint line. And I will drive up in my M1031 SECM, just to make the point.
So did this get resolved?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks