• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Three week test!

airmech3839

Hey all, just got back from a three week trip and had driven the deuce to the airport where it sat for the duration. I came back expecting to have to jump her but she fired right off. However she did have some signs of the wait on her and the ground. While I had driven her the whole week prior to leaving and parked her at home she left no drips on the ground. I found a fuel line at bottom of IP to be leaking pretty good while running and some fluid in the right front wheel puddled. Maybe brake or axle? I am wondering before I take the fuel line off does anyone know if the fittings are a normal size or is it special? it is the return line...

airmech3839

Here are some pics of my questionable leaks. The one on the return looked like it was actually coming from the upper line of the two in pic. the wheel leak is a mystery to me. I think the PN for the line is 10896241
NSN 4720-00-809-6914 according to the 20p! Can I use a regular flex line with standard fittings or does it need to be special?

Attachments

2Deuces wild

Yep looks like a inner oil seal leak. OD iron has a front seal kit for around 120. comes with every part you will need for both sides. As far as the fuel line call Memphis equipment and asked them, even if you don't buy from them they may have the answer you seek about replacing the line.

Attachments

Last edited:

airmech3839

Thanks, Got line off. data tag has NSN on it. 4720-00-809-6914 and a mil-h-13444.
looks like the end at IP is a #5 or 6 AN(female) and a #8 or larger female MS or pipe fitting! I called SECO here and they didn't have any in stock. I will call Memphis and see what they have. May just have to have a shop make one!! Or make one myself. How long will inner seal take to change based on novice deuce experince? I am a mechanic by trade but on airplanes not heavy trucks!!

Brock Steel

If you have the tools about 2 hours each side. Down load the TM on axle shaft removal and boot replacement. Get the OD iron kit, maybe 2 wheel cylinder rebuild kits, lift the rubber boots and check for leaks, have them just in case so it won't stop the job if you find a leak. 2 tubs of axle grease, 1 tube of ATV, Clean the axle good out side and inside. A card board box with a plastic bag inside to catch the mess, 4 cans of Brake cleaner. I didn't disconnect the brake line. The hose was long enough to set the backing plate with brake shoes still in place up on the axle. When you reinstall the seal the flat side of the seal faces outside. RTV the seal and the seal housing. Take a finger with a little grease and rub some on the rubber seal, no dry start or it will leak trust me I found out the hard way. Grease the front of the seal between the thrust washer and pack the housing. RTV the 10 bolt hub to the axle, check the bearing and grease seals. install the boot, backing plate tork 20 to 30 pounds, return spring, inside bearing, outer, washer, 1 hub nut, tork to 50 then back off 1/8 th of a turn lock washer second nut, tork 150 bend tabs, hub and nuts tire and repeat.

P.S check diff oil change if needed and clean relief valve.

Last edited:

airmech3839

Wow, that is pretty detailed. Thanks!! Just got done looking over TM and found what I need. I will probably have to make a new fuel return line at work and modify what I have. Gotta get prices on axle seal kit. Any special tools that I might need to remove seal and such!! TM calls out for seal puller but does not specify size.

Brock Steel

Get a rear bearing puller set from harbor and the slide hammer set use the largest one in the set. You will need a 3 inch 8 point socket to remove the nuts. You can use the socket to drive the bearing and plate back into the housing.