• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

throttle cable adjustment

Feal318000

hi guys, i searched this forum, but cant find the basic instructions to adjust the throttle on my 96 m1078 with the cat 3116. i did read all over that they get out of adjustment and will not rev up all the way. one thing i did notice is the throttle pedal bends like a banana and simply,bending it back allows the pedal to work more freely (probably could use a mod, or pedal from a different truck). my truck seems fine and will top out on flat ground around 58, witch leads me to believe its fine, but I'd like to make sure all the common bugs are worked out of the truck. any help will be appericeated!! ill put up some pics shortly

Feal318000

so i answered my own question..... and this is how i adjusted the cable (without a helper) I propped a 1 by 1 between the hand throttle, yes the lever with a golf ball on the end of it, then pulled the cable all the way to the governer, and adjusted the 2 nuts in the pic......- WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!!! it was almost a inch out of adjustment. here are some pics for referenceIMG_3088.jpgIMG_3087.jpgIMG_3085.jpgIMG_3086.jpgIMG_3084.jpg

Feal318000

ok, i understand what you mean, but instead of adjusting the slack, i blocked the hand throttle (because it will fall right down to idle if im not holding it) then raised the cab, and manually could turn the throttle (where end of the cable attaches to the "governer arm") more.... like a inch more than i was getting out of the pedal or hand throttle, then..... knowing that the pedal was "floored" i tightened up the slack in the cable with the 2 nuts on the threaded pipe the cable slides in, lowered the cab, fired it up and now it will shift to 7th gear in about 500 feet and not 1000 feet like before. i dont have a tach, but the truck is a whole new monster now, id say i easliy was not getting 500 more rpm. hope all that jargon makes sense.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The hand throttle should be tight enough to stay where you set it. The pedals all appear to bend. I have an extra I was going to play with trying to reinforce just haven't got around to it. The A1 trucks have a sturdy electronic throttle pedal.

Feal318000

unfortunately, my hand throttle will hold a real fast idle, but anything past that it falls back down.... im not too worried about it. (no winch)at least im not worried about it enough to take the dash apart to fix it. Will, im headed to a stone boat tractor pull this afternoon, after seeing your video.... i think i should have no problems. i think they only have 20,000 lbs to pull.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
To get into low range you have to keep pressing arrow down till the display shows 1 1. It takes a few extra presses sometimes. Mode just makes power 50/50 to the axles. Good luck with it.

Feal318000

thanks Will, i pulled a transfer sled fri night and made it 204 1/2 feet. but.... they set the sled for 20,000 pound truck- and that was before i adjusted the throttle cable. should have no problem tonight. ill post videos tonight or tm. i watched your pulling video a couple times, and realized my truck wasn't revving up high enough (like yours), hence the throttle cable adj. for all i know, either the cable stretched over the 8000 miles the truck has or it was never set properly.

Last edited:

Feal318000

i set mine as i described, drove around town a couple times today, and realized i would have to pull up on the pedal w my foot occasionally to get back down to normal idle..... no problem, just raised the cab back up and backed off the said adjustment 3/4 turn and good to go. nice screaming high rpm, and normal idle all the time....... best way to adjust??.... maybe not, but worked for me!

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I think the engine is governed at 2600 rpms. The truck in my pull vid has a mil reman engine that was installed not too long before the truck was sold off. It does rev a bit nicer than the other 4x4 trucks I have. The 5 Ton 290hp 3116 revs real nice. There is a noticeable difference between the two. I should have my 330hp 3126 truck in 2 weeks we will see how that does. I need to find a truck pull to take that one to.