• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thursday is the day for my 1st MV

dusterjh

Hi All,

I'm new here live in Towanda, PA (anyone close?).
Well I bought a bobbed Deuce on ebay, probably paid too much but it is pretty close to me and already shortened.
Question: the fellow that owns it has been running crude oil for fuel, he has several of these and apparently has been using crude for awhile and this one was serviced about 4 months ago, anything I should do because I'll be running diesel (new filters etc.)? Also I was reading different posts and saw a couple posts about adding a quart of ATF to a tank full of diesel, does this help with lubrication or something, or should I use an additive like Lucas Oil or similar?
I've read the "to take along" check list for the ride home, it's about 4 hours by car and who knows how long it will take in this thing, I'm sure I'll enjoy every minute though.
Below is the text from the ebay add if you are interested.
Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Here's the link to the ebay ad.
1973 M35A2 am general bobbed 2 1/2 ton 4x4:eBay Motors (item 320409718444 end time Aug-14-09 18:01:00 PDT)

Attachments

Barneyszoo

Nice truck, I too got my first duice a few months ago, its a bobber also. Been driving it everyday, what a blast. I use strate diesel and it seems to be fine. Have fun!!

SNAFU 7665

Nice Bobber Deuce I have one as well they sure do corner much better, as far as using crude oil I don't know I use diesel sounds like the crude oil would play havoc on filters again I not sure but I'm sure you ask around there are guys on here that know alot more than I.. I'm still learning everyday I log on here:-D, Good Luck

behrjack

Great looking truck you are gonna love it I have only had mine for a couple months and drive it every chance I get. I only run diesel in mine and it runs great. Im no expert on them but there are many on here that are and can answer any question you have. Congratulations and Enjoy:-D

Coal Cracker

I'm not close , bout 2 hrs. away, but I service that area, up there frequently.

Good luck with the Deuce, I'd run the crude out of it, change the filters and run straight Diesel / Power Service the quicker you get Diesel in the quicker it'll thin the oil out.

Maybe we'll meet up at a function, after I get my Truck.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've heard alot of people adding ATF to diesel. I don't know if it helps or not but I will offer a word of caution. I was told this by a TN State Trooper. When you add ATF to diesel it turns it red. Dyed (off-road/ non-taxed) diesel is dyed red. The Trooper goes around checking trucks for dyed fuel. He told me that if you run ATF and he pulls his straw out of the tank and it's red you WILL get a ticket. It will be up to you to fight it in court.

dusterjh

Hmm don't like tickets, paid enough to the state of PA.
Thanks guys for the responses, I hope to get a lot of pictures of the trip home.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm no expert on the chemical make up of diesel fuel and crude oil, but these are multifuel engines. I've heard the ULS diesel (Ultra Low Sulfer) you get from the pumps doesn't have the lubricating properties the the old diesel did.

That being said, the crude oil shouldn't hurt a thing in the engine. If it makes you feel better change the filters. They may not need it. I wouldn't change them unless you have a noticeable loss in power, especially if it was just serviced. If you are really concerned about the pump diesel not lubing like it should, go to wally world or Autozone and buy a case of cheap store brand 5w/30-40 or 10w30-40 motor oil and put a quart in the tank at each fill up. Or you could do what so many of us do, save your old oil from oil changes and such, filter it and put it in the tank. These engines are pretty hearty, and will eat just about any combustible oil product!! What ever you do, just don't run too much strait gasoline through it, that has absolutely no lubricating properties and can damage the engine if you run too much of it.

Enjoy your new toy, do your pm's on it and check your brake components regularly...SAFETY FIRST!!! Even though it's a bobber, it's still probably heaver than most 4x4's on the road, and you don't want to take chances!!! If this is your first one, read the -10 TM and become familiar with your truck!

tsmall07

I've heard alot of people adding ATF to diesel. I don't know if it helps or not but I will offer a word of caution. I was told this by a TN State Trooper. When you add ATF to diesel it turns it red. Dyed (off-road/ non-taxed) diesel is dyed red. The Trooper goes around checking trucks for dyed fuel. He told me that if you run ATF and he pulls his straw out of the tank and it's red you WILL get a ticket. It will be up to you to fight it in court.

Very good point. I usually add at least a qt of motor oil. I'm usually running a fair amount of UMO anyway, though.

dittle

Note to those who want to try the ATF in the fuel route........ Don't use the synthetic ATF.

dusterjh

I talked with fellow that owns it and he runs the crude oil in all of his diesels and has for a long time so that eased my worries along with the comments from you guys.
The guy I'm buying it from seems like a very nice guy and very helpful and he did mention if he doesn't know post it here on Steel Soldiers "lot's of nice people there". I'm glad I found a site with friendly down to earth people, this will make my first Deuce a lot more fun with experts to turn to.
Thanks again guys for the posts.

Joe
Northeastern PA

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks