• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thz71's M1008

thz71

This build thread is copied from another forum. I really like this forum so I figured I should contribute.
I only found it because i searched 4.56s on craigslist because i was looking for a rear axle for my 95. Its a 1985 cucv M1008 with 46,000 miles it was swapped to a 355 instead of the stock 6.2 TRW pistons, steel crank, 590 lift cam 1.6 ratio roller rocker arms, camelhump heads with 2.02 valves, Edelbrock airgap intake, 750 holley. It had 28 inch tires on it i knew itd be a long drive with those and 4.56s, But it seemed like a good enough deal that i could part it out and use the axles. So me and my girlfriend drove up to rochester minnesota and bought it. I drove it all tue way home at 3500 rpm and 55 mph with an intermitant terrible death wobble. All along with the plan to part it out. But the more i drove it amd towed and hauled with it the more i liked it. Has awesome power i love the built in shackle mounts and just how heavy a 1.25 ton truck is. So needless to say i kept it. Heres some pics of right when i got it

I took the toolbox out and repainted it
then put it back in with my headache rack

I put a truck bed crane in
my girlfriend painted my shackles
then i came across some military 36s at an aution and bought them

So i had to buy some 16.5 inch rims
used the race truck to take and get them mounted

Had to trim some (dad wanted to try lol)
got um on
now ive just been using it
Now im getting it ready for the memorial day weekend MIOBI offroad weekend. New lights from bluex
battery secured (no bungee straps allowed)
Hi-Lift mounted

Cab organizer
fire extinguisher
shes almost ready for this weekend

New batterry hold down

Distribution block from a 400
hardwired an inverter in. Oh and i forgot the biggest update i FINALLY made myself order a winch yesterday. After breaking all my com alongs and countless other things loading stuff and pulling stuff. I got a 9500 poumd smitty bilt winch with a lifetime mechanical warrenty and 3 year electrical warrenty. I ordered a reciver cradle so i can mount it whereever i need it. And got a snatch block i also ordered som L.E.D offroad lights

Trimmed alot more
Fixed my ghetto battery hold down
fixed the rust hole in my floor

mounted my flashlight
checked all the fluids and started packing it]
new winch
loaded up
first stuck
second stuck
third stuck
fifth stuck. I didnt get a picture of 4th stuck but a guy that won the top truck challenge pulled me out it was cool ajd an honor to meet him. Anyway heres a bunch of random pics
bad azz truck that pulled me out
all the nice people that came to watch me get pulled out
way home
exhaust is screwed
time for a flat bed and new door no big deal its all part of it. Steering is also messed up but i dint think its too big of a deal. It was fun and frusterateing all at the same time. Now ill spend years cleaning the truck and all the camping stuff lol
Got a new drivers door and 2 sets of 52" springs. I also bought a pass side fender and core support that i dont need but the price was right. Steering is fixed all i need now is a new pass side header. I dont think its supposed to be flat like this lol
Fixed this.

knocked alota dents out. You probably can't tell but it's a lot better
aftermath

Group pic

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks