• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tie Rod End Removal

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am trying to replace my tie rod ends during a front axle service and I cannot get it to come off. I tried a 14 inch pipe wrench as noted in the TM I attached, but maybe I’m not placing it in the correct place to get enough torque.
I’ve hosed it down with Pb blaster numerous times as well.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Attachments

Last edited:

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tie rod end on the drivers side. I updated the post to avoid confusion.
If I understand correctly you have removed the end from the spindle and are trying to unthread it from the tie rod itself.

In that case you may need a pipe on the pipe wrench to get more leverage. It could be frozen/rusted. Might need some heat too.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If its really hung in there get ya a propane torch and heat just the coller that tha tie rod is stuck thru and not the tierod turn your nut upside down and put back on the threaded part and hit it with the hammer while impacting the tierod with the forked impact gun should get it !

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve removed the tie rod end from the knuckle. I’m not able to get the tie rod end to budge using a 14 inch pipe wrench. I can try some heat.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
images.jpg
You can rent one of these from most auto parts stores or buy one

tommys2patrick

if you are still having trouble, you might slip the tie rod end back on the knuckle and loosely run the nut back on so it doesn't wiggle around. then put the pipe wrench on the tie rod itself some where near the middle. then use a floor jack on the end of the pipe wrench. that way you can use the weight of the truck to help you. reverse directions a couple times and then use the jack. it should unscrew both ends of the tie rod at the same time. a little back and forth should loosen both at once. before you do this you might use something to mark the tie rod and both ends before separating everything. it may also help to count exposed threads on the tie rod end so when you install the new ends you will know how far to screw them in.

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could not get the ends off the rod, tried larger pipe wrench, heat, multiple sprays banging with a hammer to break loose some rust…. No luck. I ordered a heavy duty tie rod from Boyce and used NOS tie rod ends. I’ll play with getting the ends off the old tie rod when I have some extra time. Steering is really improved now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks