• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tiedown ratings

serial14

My M923A1 has tie down points on the side of the bed all around. I've seen these before on other vehicles and I know they are commonly referred to as a "nuclear kit" for the Deuce.

My question is, what are those tiedown points rated in terms of WLL? The swivel point looks to be the weak link.

Thanks

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I can't find it right now (I'm on my phone) but one of the threads out there had the rating for them. It's high.

I have also lifted multiple beds using only 4 of the hooks.

Edit: found it

Shoot, I can't get the url to paste. Hold that thought

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I can't find it right now (I'm on my phone) but one of the threads out there had the rating for them. It's high.

I have also lifted multiple beds using only 4 of the hooks.

Edit: found it

Shoot, I can't get the url to paste. Hold that thought

Insert Jeparody theme music here!

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure what a HMMWV A2 tie-down looks like, but it probably does not swivel. And, if it does, it is probably more like the tie-down in an M105A3 trailer, or the M1101/M1102 trailers. Those are different than the style that are welded to the bed sides.

I seriously doubt those little tabs or their swivel base will handle 2300 lbs. That would mean you could put a 7000+ pound truck in the bed of a 5-ton and lift the bed off the truck with just 4 of those tie-downs. I doubt it.

Since 4 of them can obviously support the weight of a 5-ton bed in a static lift, I would say you can assume they will hold at least 500 lbs.

Of course, the type of loading will affect their reliability. I'm sure whatever rating they carry is specified for a specific load direction and it decreases as you move away from that.

In any case, when you are tying something down in the bed to *multiple* points, I think it would have to be darn heavy to cause a failure of one of these, unless it was really done improperly.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been a part of a lift where a 5 ton bed was lifted diagonally with just 2 of them. I turned because I didn't want to see the destruction but it worked. As a matter of fact, I recall the bed tweaking from lifting from opposed corners. Those that remember the W50 that was on here for a while, had a 5 ton bed? That was the bed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks